SAV Scalehouse

Help Support CattleToday:

Those numbers are incredible.

I dream of a herd of 75lb BW calves weaning off at close to 1k just on milk and grass. That's not reality but I'd like to see what calves from him do without being put on feed.

If I'm right on which of the 100's of "greatest bull ever" from SAV o_O : Don't tell me someone is promoting BH again? Once was enough. Are you raising bulls or are you just paying the feed bill and wish that the bulls would cover the fed bill?

Never seen him. GAR Scale House AAA# 17354047 has more marbling and ribeye, but a bigger birthweight than SAV Scale House 0845 AAA# 20000000.

If I'm right on which of the 100's of "greatest bull ever" from SAV o_O : Don't tell me someone is promoting BH again? Once was enough. Are you raising bulls or are you just paying the feed bill and wish that the bulls would cover the fed bill?
Maybe you should see who owns the bull for before accusing me of promoting a bull. Sounds like you have BH derangement syndrome.

Maybe you should see who owns the bull for before accusing me of promoting a bull. Sounds like you have BH derangement syndrome.
Thank you for the diagnosis! :sneaky: You're right that I mistakenly confused the latest greatest bull for another latest greatest bull in the never ending string of latest greatest bulls. I am not attempting to keep up with the latest and greatest crowd because I can see on semen resale sites that the prices drop off significantly after about 1.5 years. I prefer to be in the real world and let the smoke and mirrors keep other folks enthused, dazed and hypnotized enough to support the bovine entertainment business. I do not sell or own a feed truck or a feed mill so I have to deal with the real world cattle. There is no glamour or fame in the real world cattle - just an increased profit potential for somebody other than the promoter or the semen salesman. "It's alright to be little bitty ..."

Are we talking cattle or politics?

I get where you're coming from. I don't get into that side of the cattle business much but I do appreciate the improvement in genetics that comes from it.

I get where you're coming from. I don't get into that side of the cattle business much but I do appreciate the improvement in genetics that comes from it.
I think what he is suggesting is that sometimes improvements are not always an improvement in other areas.

I think both when you are talking 1000 pounds weaning weights. There are a few that achieve that through genetics, nutrition, management, maybe black magic and who knows what. Then there are the hopeful people who want to achieve the same - hoping for the same level of "success". Most of the hopeful never achieve the same level probably. May be like the lottery. A very few win the lottery. Millions have the same hope for success there, spend lots of money hoping for that success and never hit the jackpot.
Follow the science. To get 1000 pound weaning weights, inputs and efficiency come into play. Inputs are quantity and quality of milk and grazing and feedstuffs. Efficiency is how well the animal converts that into pounds of live weight. Better efficiency is good. The input side of the equation is where you have to be careful. Achieve 1000 pound weaning weights with low inputs, high fertility and longevity and you will have achieved success.

Latest posts