SAV Pioneer

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying some semen on this bull with the hope to raise a few replacement heifers in my registered herd. Anyone used him before and if so what are your thoughts?

KW

We have a Pioneer cow in the herd. Since we only raise Simmental, she is the only Angus we own. Her first calf, sired by the Simmental bull ABS carries,, Beef Maker, was 49 pounds at birth and she had it without incident. She raised that little heifer, did a fine job, and that heifer is one of our top yearling heifers now. The cow bred back, and calved a few weeks ago with her second calf, 3 weeks early, another Simmental bull ZKCC Chopper, and that calf was less than 50 pounds also. That calf is now 30 days old and very thick, catching up to the others pretty quick. The cow does not have the prettiest udder, but neither did her dam, who we picked up in a dispersal sale in the drought of 2012 (she was a TC Freedom). This Pioneer cow is tiny, smaller than any of my other cattle in the herd, and considering her dam was a huge framed (likely a 6.5) cow, we were really surprised at her size (or lack there of). We weigh the cows twice a year, and she hovers around 1000 pounds most of the time.
She has two faults I do not like: She does not seem to handle fescue very well, and needs to be sheared twice a year because she grows so much hair, and she is a heavy breather, often panting with her mouth open and always in water or laying in mud if she can find it! Second, her udder. Just do not care for it, not a typical Simmental udder. But she does a fine job of raising a calf so far.
So, a very small population to judge, but she is a keeper for now.

He will take the legs out from under them if you don't use him on the right type cattle, unless you want 4 to 5 frame cattle. He will add thickness, so you may want to use him in the right situations. You may want to look at Priority he has more frame, all depends on what your trying to do.

We had a son and were happy with him. The calves weren't the most attractive but I don't blame the Pioneer part of the bloodline for that.

Friend has a cow that is as near picture perfect as it gets.

BSE,

I found a video of Priority and he sure does look like he can add some frame. He is as long as a bus! I haven't been able to find any video of Pioneer. Trying to judge an animal by pictures alone is very hard. After looking at their EPDs and breeding I agree that Priority may be a better bull. Thanks.

KW

tnwalkingred":22xgt759 said:
BSE,

I found a video of Priority and he sure does look like he can add some frame. He is as long as a bus! I haven't been able to find any video of Pioneer. Trying to judge an animal by pictures alone is very hard. After looking at their EPDs and breeding I agree that Priority may be a better bull. Thanks.

KW

I don't know how to embed but here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECbyIXM_q24

Jake,

We used Pioneer for the first time last year.

5 bull calves had an average birth weight of 68.5 pounds and an average weaning weight of 581 average weaning ratio on the 5 was 100

3 heifer calves had an average birth weight of 66 pounds and an average weaning weight of 508.6 average weaning ratio on the 3 was 95

Those are actual weights not adjusted, we have not yet taken yearling weights but plan to the end of this month or the first of November depending on winter planting. I looked at one of the open Pioneer heifers last week she caught my eye because she was in heat she is looking really nice for her age. I can't tell you about udders as yet we don't have any in production.

I would be happy to snap a few photos of the Pioneer calves for you if you want.

gizmom

gizmom":32saw2j0 said:
Jake,

We used Pioneer for the first time last year.

5 bull calves had an average birth weight of 68.5 pounds and an average weaning weight of 581 average weaning ratio on the 5 was 100

3 heifer calves had an average birth weight of 66 pounds and an average weaning weight of 508.6 average weaning ratio on the 3 was 95

Those are actual weights not adjusted, we have not yet taken yearling weights but plan to the end of this month or the first of November depending on winter planting. I looked at one of the open Pioneer heifers last week she caught my eye because she was in heat she is looking really nice for her age. I can't tell you about udders as yet we don't have any in production.

I would be happy to snap a few photos of the Pioneer calves for you if you want.

gizmom

Would love to see them, always enjoy seeing different matings.

I personally probably won't go back to Pioneer as I think there are better Final Answer sons out there. We are using SAV Mustang heavy and plan to use Priority to try to get some with a little buschwacker in the pedigree. Would love to have some females that look like these two. http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/cows/5530.html
http://www.schaffangusvalley.com/cows/7415.html

Latest posts