SAV President on heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
Yes? No? Maybe? Anyone used him on heifers? Have one heifer to breed and keep going back to President. She's going to be a monster heifer so I'm not too worried. Big, thick and 820 pounds at 8 months and really green yet. She comes from a big cow family... So would you breed him to heifers or no?

If she is a large heifer or more mature, than you should be fine.
We bought a bred heifer from Schaff that was bred to Registry and she calved with no assistance.
However it's probably not worth the risk when you could use either Raindance, or Rainfall.
Rainfall would be the safest choice on heifers. If it were me I'd use Raindance, you get similar growth to President but with a lighter birthweight for the heifer.

I also emailed Kelly awhile back about picking a bull to use because a neigbor had a governor bull calf and it looked pretty good. I asked about him and rainfall and he said both would be good on heifers . He said Rainfall will sire thicker and stouter calves. He recommended presdient for cows.

I have two SAV President daughters on the ground, both parentage qualified via Angus Source. One was about 74 pounds, and the other was in the low 80's. A big, healthy heifer should not have an issue with SAV President, that is just one man's opinion. I also have 2 SAV Raindance heifers and both were in the low to mid 80 range. Right now I am breeding SAV Elation to heifers and have one due in early March. I'm breeding heifers to SAV President right now as well. In addition, I have 6 more bred to, and preg checked positive to SAV Raindance, but that is because I wanted more females, otherwise I would have used SAV President. When you get a President calf on the ground and see how awesome they are, you will want to breed everything that walks to him. Again, just my opinion based on what I see. Here is a photo of her, not the best, excuse the mud. She is about 69 days old here.

Would you use President over Resource ? Also I don't know about using Ten Speed on heifers?

Richnm":4ecmgnf6 said:
Would you use President over Resource ? Also I don't know about using Ten Speed on heifers?

That's a tough question, as you can see I am a big fan of President. I like his look better than Resource even though Resource is a phenomenal example. I like the Abigale blood along with Blackcap May and Boyd Forever Lady. That's some serious maternal pedigree. I'm in it to breed top females, pathfinders at that, I focus on bulls that can deliver that, and I think SAV President fits the bill. I use several other AI sires as you can see in my posts, but I have to say President is quickly becoming my favorite.

Richnm":24qdmkh4 said:
President over resource would be really tough. I have some and seen some milking resource daughters that are ideal. Presidents only down fall is he's just turning 3 yr old. I'm not saying resource is better nor worse
Ten speeds fault is his sire imo.

We bred heifers to Ten Speed and had to pull a decent percentage. We also lost quite a few to sickness. Only Schaff bull we've used that we haven't really liked so far.
Seedstock females are really good. I like them as well if not better than Resource's.

I passed on a pen full of Ten X daughters. They were funny looking to me. I don't see what the hype is about Ten X. A local angus breeder has been using SAV Angus Valley and Jindra Acclaim on heifers. Any opinions ? President has me rethinking my strategy.

Richnm look at blackout over acclaim. Thicker deeper and made a lot better than his sire acclaim imo. Acclaim calves here are still young but appear to have to much leg

Richnm":8azwwvy1 said:
I don't see what the hype is about Ten X.
TEN X is yesterday's news. Now that he's well proven, gotta move on to the next Hot New Low Accuracy bull. :banana:
(Ten X does make darn good market steers top 20% cw top 10% marbling, top 10% $B and feed lot champs $F top 10%)

Actually I do believe in gambling on hot new bulls by using on up to 25% of the herd and breeding the remaining 75%
to the well proven sires of your choice.

Ten X was all the rage because he was #1 $B bull for a few years. We used him and his progeny sold really well. Unfortunately his progeny had bad feet and his daughters are slowly being culled for these traits and for being super high maintenance cattle. We only have a few left.

This is the heifer I was planning on breeding him to. She looks pretty crappy in the picture because I can't take pictures worth a darn but she is quite nice in person. But now quite a few of people have told me to breed her to Gold Standard from Griswold cattle... Thoughts?

https://postimg.cc/23n8pJvD

Just a reminder - be sure to look back at what your heifer weighed at birth and HER EPD's for CE. If she is that growthy now, she might have been a larger calf at birth. She obviously is big enough to have a good size calf, but if she was a whopper out of a cow, you might want to be cautious.

Thanks for posting the pic. How did the epds on his calves come back? My heifers are all about 750-800 pounds at 11 months. Out of 1,500 -1,700 pound cows. BWs were low 70s. I never thought about the heifers epds thanks Jeanne for informing me.

Latest posts