SAV Bismark

Help Support CattleToday:

I haven't AI bred to him, but did use two sons, one of them for two years, and then sold him to another farmer. I had good calving ease with them, both had calving ease genetics on the cow side as well. The calves also grew well. I know he is listed as a four star calving bull, but I have always wondered about breeding to him directly, because of his sire Grid Maker's higher birthweight.

IMG_3747_zpsmjizfsng.jpg

That's ours. He was born in Sept of 2010 and this picture was July 3, 2015. He's done a great job for us and we've had zero calving problems since he's been covering our cows.

He is extremely gentle but also respectful of your space.

TennesseeTuxedo":l3matbbd said:
That's ours. He was born in Sept of 2010 and this picture was July 3, 2015. He's done a great job for us and we've had zero calving problems since he's been covering our cows.

Good bull. He reminds me a lot of one of my Bismarck sons, that I kept the longest. Mine was out of an In Focus daughter, no calving problems from him either. The issue that got my bull sold was that he got big and he would let himself into the barn lot by pushing the gate open. I knew that he would soon be applying that knowledge to fences or anywhere he wanted to go.

Ours can climb any gate and jump any fence on the place, he demonstrated that the first year. Luckily he settled down and has never left the property. This most likely is his last year in service and I'm going to miss him. He has been a terrific bull.

TennesseeTuxedo":3td9d5el said:
Ours can climb any gate and jump any fence on the place, he demonstrated that the first year. Luckily he settled down and has never left the property. This most likely is his last year in service and I'm going to miss him. He has been a terrific bull.

I can sympathize with you on that, he does look to be a really good one, I would love to still have the one I had too. The main herd bull that I have now isn't as eye appealing to me ( he's an Upward grandson), but he is very calm and so far throwing good calves that come easy as well.

TennesseeTuxedo":2hqnclq0 said:
Good calves that come easy is the name of the game isn't it?

It is, and I am very well pleased with Upward as I call him, but he just isn't as smooth made as yours' or my previous one.

I really like S A V Bismarck. I've used him as much as any bull the past five years, mainly because I could get female sexed semen for him. No calving issues with him, good growth rates, offspring seem pretty docile, and his females have really good udders and teat size. I'm a small breeder and sell most of my replacement heifers and have heard nothing but positive things from my buyers regarding the Bismarck daughters. I just had two Bismarck calves born in the past week and am excited to see how these ones do.

Haven't been a big fan of Black Angus, but the Bismark bull has really impressed me. All of his progeny that I've seen I've liked. Good looking bull, TT. I seem to keep finding myself inching closer to using some Angus pedigrees. Have been wanting to keep it strictly Black Simmental or at least 3/4 quarters, but the half blood SimAngus is getting so popular here might end up trying to use an AI purebred Angus Bull in the near future.

Ky hills":jtvu4u25 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":jtvu4u25 said:

Good bull. He reminds me a lot of one of my Bismarck sons, that I kept the longest. Mine was out of an In Focus daughter, no calving problems from him either. The issue that got my bull sold was that he got big and he would let himself into the barn lot by pushing the gate open. I knew that he would soon be applying that knowledge to fences or anywhere he wanted to go.

I have been using a Bismarck son out of an In Focus daughter on the heifers I have sold the last few years. I never calved them out but the guy who has been buying the heifers has had nothing but good things to say about the calves.

Ebenezer":2vqkcjim said:
How about feet?

The bulls that I had out of Bismarck, didn't have any issues, at least not while I had them here. I can't speak as to how they matured, but one was 3 yr. old, and moved like a cat for an animal of his size. That being said I have read on a forum elsewhere that feet could be an issue. Have also heard that his sire Grid Maker could have feet issues too, but no first hand knowledge of either. Have had some feet/ leg issues with some Angus that I have, I sell their calves commercially and will cull the cows when it becomes a serious mobility issue for them.

Over the years I have heard from a few different producers that some of the Bismarck cattle have feet issues. I have not owned any Bismarck progeny myself, so I can't speak from my own experience.

We used him two years back on 15 heifers or so and had good luck calving ease so we bred more heifers to him this year. I think we pulled 2 calves out of 26 this year. Two of nicest females in replacement pen are out of him, which is the biggest reason we will be using him again...moderate and DEEP. Cannot say for feet yet.

Latest posts