Satellite Internet Opinons for 2007

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am in need of Satellite Internet services. I'm too far out for a tower signal and dial up is eating up my day. I dread turing the computer on. Most of the searches come up with posts dating back to 2005 and 2006. I know things have changed in a years time.
Please give me some advice on Satellite services, good or bad. I have looked into Hughes, Starband and Wild Blue. Hughes looks to have the highest Download speed. The other two have 512 download and Hughes is 700.
Any problems with limiting usage?
Any info would be so greatly appreciated.
Chuckie

We've had Wild Blue for over a year and have been happy with them. Ocasionally runs a little slow but overall we've been very pleased. Setup was $300 for equipment and labor. We started with the basic service and just upgraded to the faster download speed. I think we pay about $60 per month for the fast speed.

We used Hughes for about four years before getting DSL and never had a problem with it. Only time it sputtered was in a real downpour and that wasn't often.

I have hughes and I like it. As someone else mentioned, a big storm will put you out of commission until it passes.

I have WildBlue, and Im not really happy with it. We use the internet a lot, so the limited usage thing is a problem. When we do go over, they cut the speed down to about dial up speed for 30 days. We also lose signal every time there is rain, even though the salesman said the internet uses a different frequency than like a satellite dish for a TV, so storms dont affect it. But we are stuck with it.

i just got sprint broad band little cheaper than wild blue, heck of a lot faster than dial up. no problems yet

go to thier website and put in your zip code it will tell you if you are in an area that they service.

Had a friend that went from dial-up to Wild Blue and really liked it at first. Had me convinced to give them a shot but they were 'no longer accepting customers in your area'. My friend became unhappy with the basic package and upgraded. Said it was the biggest mistake they ever made - slower service most of the time, lost signal frequently, and cost an extra $30 or $40 a month. We still don't have access to DSL so are still using dial-up. Do most of my internet work on school's broadband.

hillbilly beef man":khl3v6ir said:
Just curious, how fast does a satellite connection run. You can test here if you need too http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
We have hughes; download 1071, upload 419. We tend to vary from 900 to 1100. The biggest problem that I have with sat. is there is a pause from the time you click on something and actual down load of about 2 sec.

Latest posts