Sassafras Tea

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
When I was a kid we drank this stuff regularly. The other day I read an article on the internet that said sassafras oil is extremely dangerous and known to cause liver cancer in humans. Hope it doesnt kill me.

denoginnizer":qaeqneb8 said:
When I was a kid we drank this stuff regularly. The other day I read an article on the internet that said sassafras oil is extremely dangerous and known to cause liver cancer in humans. Hope it doesnt kill me.

Read too much on the internet and you'll be afraid to eat or drink at all.

Long time ago I bought, I think it was, the Reader's Digest book on ailments, or something of that sort. My daughter was a teenager then...and with all she was going thru being a teenager, she realized that this book was dangerous to have in the house...about the time I pronounced I had typhoid fever, or the plague...I don't remember. She threw the book in the dumpster, I found out 10 years later...after I went to the doctor convinced I had a brain tumor. That stopped my hypochondria...well that and Prozac the doctor prescribed for my brain tumor...

Alice

Safrole, is a constituent in the oil of sassafras was proven to cause liver cancer in rats so the FDA banned the sale of sassafrass which was used in soft drinks and many other things. Of course the amount of safrole you'd by drinking the occassional cup of sassafras tea is probably much less than the FDA forced down the rats' mouths in a pure form. So I'm betting that if I get liver cancer its probably going to be from some of those food preservatives or dyes rather than the occassional cup of tea I so enjoy. A teaspoon of honey in mine please. :nod:

like the country song says everything i love is killing me.well i gave 2 things up.i quit dipping snuff chewing tobbacco an chewing cigars.that was 7years ago.then 3yrs ago i quit caffine because of 4 kidney stone attacks.heck we are doom according to the gov studies.

bigbull338":2f7l20ne said:
like the country song says everything i love is killing me.well i gave 2 things up.i quit dipping snuff chewing tobbacco an chewing cigars.that was 7years ago.then 3yrs ago i quit caffine because of 4 kidney stone attacks.heck we are doom according to the gov studies.
I dont know how I started but I am chewing about 6 or 8 swisher sweat cigars a day. I dont know what they put on the end of the things but it is addictive.

denoginnizer":lgneun20 said:
bigbull338":lgneun20 said:
I dont know how I started but I am chewing about 6 or 8 swisher sweat cigars a day. I dont know what they put on the end of the things but it is addictive.
i used to chew swisher sweets as well.18yrs ago you could get i think it was a 5 pack for $1.50 or $2 a pack.a pack would last me 3 days.but i was dipping copenhagen with it to.just switching back an forth.

Sassafras is a plant then?
You dry the leaves or you process out the oil, and drink that??
It tastes like rootbeer maybe?

angie":3779yehs said:
Sassafras is a plant then?
You dry the leaves or you process out the oil, and drink that??
It tastes like rootbeer maybe?

Sassafras is a tree. A fast growing, edge of the woods tree. The roots are fragrant and you can scrape the outer layers off the roots and brew tea. Used as a "spring tonic" in these parts.

Latest posts