Sand burrs

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Gosh, I HATE these things! We're in blackland, and have never had them before this year.

My question... husband thinks they came in with the round bales last year. I think they came in with the coastal sprigs this spring. What do y'all think?

TheBullLady":16k736fs said:
Gosh, I HATE these things! We're in blackland, and have never had them before this year.

My question... husband thinks they came in with the round bales last year. I think they came in with the coastal sprigs this spring. What do y'all think?

Given the two choices and having some experience with them, I vote for the round bales.

I wouldn;t think the sprigs. But the hay, varmints, grain if you feed any, etc. could all be the source. I was looking through a load of corn that we're feeding and it's got a lot of burdock seeds in it.

dun

The hay would be 1st suspect. But like miles & dun it could be lots of other sources. I've seen them hang to tires a long time.

Sand Burrs, like many other weeds. The seeds can lay dormant in the soil for many years waiting for the right conditions. I can sure see it coming in the haybales however. Those things must be hard on the mouths of cattle.

mnmt

mnmtranching":2hi1lhz5 said:
Sand Burrs, like many other weeds. The seeds can lay dormant in the soil for many years waiting for the right conditions. I can sure see it coming in the haybales however. Those things must be hard on the mouths of cattle.

mnmt

No offense, but I have to disagree here. Sandburs don't need 'right conditions', they can (and do) grow in anything from sand to rocks. Track them in or import them in hay, and you will know it the next year! Trust me on this. BullLady, you might want to check into Plateau - supposedly it will kill sandburs without harming a lot of native grasses.

I had 'em pretty bad a few years ago, sprayed Atrazine once in Febuary I think, meant to put another dose on the next year but didn't. They are for the most part gone now, but I noticed some popping up here and there the other day. It don't take long for those little boogers to spread out all over the place. This next year I plan on spraying again for them and maybe even again the following year.

Don't let it get out of hand, I had a horse get one in her eye. It didn't hurt her eye, I think I caught it soon enough but man it hurts bad enough getting one in your hand or foot, can't imagine the EYE! :shock:

I've also heard Platuea (sp?) works good too.

msscamp":2autrmeh said:
mnmtranching":2autrmeh said:

mnmt

No offense, but I have to disagree here. Sandburs don't need 'right conditions', they can (and do) grow in anything from sand to rocks. Track them in or import them in hay, and you will know it the next year! Trust me on this. BullLady, you might want to check into Plateau - supposedly it will kill sandburs without harming a lot of native grasses.

Yes I agree the right conditions are almost always, but it seems like in good stands of grasses sand burrs dont seem to show up. But stir up the ground, a little dry weather and you got sand burrs everywhere.

mnmtranching":1ee6ajjj said:
msscamp":1ee6ajjj said:
mnmtranching":1ee6ajjj said:

mnmt

Yes I agree the right conditions are almost always, but it seems like in good stands of grasses sand burrs dont seem to show up. But stir up the ground, a little dry weather and you got sand burrs everywhere.

I thought we had a pretty good stand of grass in one of our hay pastures, but we've still got sandburrs out the ying-yang in that pasture. We have also had problems with them in established sodded lawns. Maybe it's just our area, I don't know. Interestingly enough, our little corner grass patch of about 4-5 acres does not have a single sandburr in it - at least I haven't seen any - and I walk it on a fairly regular basis while irrigating it.

Around here folks get them in the lawns when everything dries out. Water and fertilize kill them as they hate a healthy stand of grass. They are bad in bermuda lawns. Not so much in St Augustine.