Sam the destroyer returns home.

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Well, Sam the destroyer, named for his ability to chew a heavy garden hose in 17 separate pieces in less than 30 minutes, got to come home yesterday. He has been in cow dog training for three months. I got to work with him at the trainers and he did very well. It sure is good to have my buddy back home. :nod: I am gonna give him a cowpoke weeks to get readjusted to being home before we do any real work. Wish I knew how to post pics.

What kind of cowdog? We have a Blue Heeler (Aus Cattle Dog) and a Miniature Schnauzer.
Razz__Stetson.jpg

Heeler (Stetson) was 8 in pic, he is now 14, still going strong.

Isomade":1pvs5nf4 said:
Well, Sam the destroyer, named for his ability to chew a heavy garden hose in 17 separate pieces in less than 30 minutes, got to come home yesterday. He has been in cow dog training for three months. I got to work with him at the trainers and he did very well. It sure is good to have my buddy back home. :nod: I am gonna give him a cowpoke weeks to get readjusted to being home before we do any real work. Wish I knew how to post pics.
I understand Iso...last Pyrenees we bought ate up every water hose on the place and if you fed her in anything not "cast Iron" she would chew it up as well....was also good at going to the highway and bringing back every beer can she could find and demolish. Mercy it's great when they get out of that stage of growing up.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":889k9j56 said:
What kind of cowdog? We have a Blue Heeler (Aus Cattle Dog) and a Miniature Schnauzer.
Razz__Stetson.jpg

Heeler (Stetson) was 8 in pic, he is now 14, still going strong.

Jeanne I said he went to cow dog training, I didn't say he was a cow dog. He is a Toy Poodle Chiuaua Mix. :lol: :lol:

No, he is an Australian Shepherd. And I am more impressed with him every day since he got back.

spinandslide":1e8cucng said:
would ove to see pics..where did you send him???
He went to Smokin Bay Livestock Services, they are over by Atoka Ok. Good people.

Must be outta my relm of okie-dom...;)..furthest I go is to Altus to Bootleather Border Collies.

Glad he is working good for you..seems to me alot of the aussies are either stronger on the head or the heels..takes a good trainer to make them "good" allaround..glad you found some good folks to do just that for ya.

spinandslide":1oxytht2 said:
Must be outta my relm of okie-dom...;)..furthest I go is to Altus to Bootleather Border Collies.

Glad he is working good for you..seems to me alot of the aussies are either stronger on the head or the heels..takes a good trainer to make them "good" allaround..glad you found some good folks to do just that for ya.
Spin, you are absolutely correct about Aussies being stronger on the head or heels, and Sam is no different. He is absolutely a header first, his heel is weak at this point. I am hoping he improves with age.

Yep, I imagine he will improve..just a weaker area.

same way with my BC's, one is beautiful on her right turns, but to the left, she dives and scatters..weaker side and so she gets worked twice as much on that side. :)

Love watching a confident heading dog take on a cow though. :D My BC did, really really cool..I "personaly" think they've got to have more kahunas to be a header then a heeler.

Obviously, mine (Blue Heeler) is a heeler, but he will head them off if the herd runs in the wrong direction. Taught himself, after seeing me run at the lead to turn them. I said he was still going strong --- and he is physically, but he is now deaf & luckily we always used hand signals with him.

Heelers are good dogs..mine taught himself to head as well..although he prefered heeling. He started having seizures though, so he was retired...died about 6 months after..splenic cancer..that was the cause of his seizures too. :(

Wish I knew how to post pics.[/quote] It's ok..........I'm sure all of us have seen a chewed up garden hose............ :cowboy:

Latest posts