Salvage of a post structure

Help Support CattleToday:

john250

Reaction score
I've got a post stucture I want to salvage. I need to remove 2*6 boards from posts. They are nailed with five 4" pole barn nails at each post.
How can I cut those nails with out ruining the boards? Any ideas?

We've always used a sawz-all (not sure if thats how it's spelled?)

Why not use a wrecking bar and a block of wood? Sure, it's a little more work - but the nails are gone (and can usually be re-used with a little straightening), and the boards are salvaged.

Having spent 2 days 'salvaging' boards nailed onto posts with ring shank nails, I now see the error of my post. I sincerely apologize. :oops:

Surely you are not going to attempt pulling the nails? I don't understand some of the previous replies. Perhaps they don't understand. It is virtually impossible to pull pole barn nails from good creosote posts. You will split the 2 by 6 if you try to pull it off. Face it, pole barn nails are not made to be pulled.

If the nails are driven in straight, you can cut the heads off of the nails with a grinder and pull the boards over the nails shank, leaving the nails in place. Or cut the nails with a sawzall as previously suggested. Once you remove the boards, drive the remainder of the nail on in, either way. It will drive but it won't pull. Pole Barn nails are one-way critters.

Most good carpenters are going to drive the nails at opposing angles. This prevents the boards from ever coming off even if they begin to rot. Your only hope is that the nails will bend after you remove the heads. If they don't bend, the boards are going to get ripped and you won't salvage anything.

I recently was doing something along these lines...I drove them back thru as far as I could, then used bolt cutters and drove that part back. Probably not as nice a job as others would have done, but worked for me with what I was trying to accomplish.

Alice

I think the sawzall is the way to go
if you figure the time you would spend pulling or cutting off nail heads you can have paid for the saw (if you have enough posts ;-) )
I have so much other work to do in my "spare" time that I have to work efficiently, I just can't always do the recycling or cheapest things. (not that I would want to...)

john250":3ll3yzmf said:
Thanks to all of you responders. This sounds like the perfect excuse to buy that sawz-all I've been wanting. :lol:

Get the best quality blades you can find! Cheap blades have 2 major problems, the may not fit the chuck and need to be modified a little to get them to lock in, the other is they wear out a whole lot faster.

dun

dun":2mjx23ju said:
john250":2mjx23ju said:
Thanks to all of you responders. This sounds like the perfect excuse to buy that sawz-all I've been wanting. :lol:

Get the best quality blades you can find! Cheap blades have 2 major problems, the may not fit the chuck and need to be modified a little to get them to lock in, the other is they wear out a whole lot faster.

dun

I've learned that lesson. When a good hacksaw blade cost $6 or so, I bought a package of 10 chinese blades for $10. Figured I couldn't lose. Ruined the first 3 blades and half an hour slicing a brick of butter and threw the rest away.

backhoeboogie said:
Surely you are not going to attempt pulling the nails? I don't understand some of the previous replies. Perhaps they don't understand. It is virtually impossible to pull pole barn nails from good creosote posts. You will split the 2 by 6 if you try to pull it off. Face it, pole barn nails are not made to be pulled.

Boogie,
You are exactly right. Pole barn nails that I use are very hard. Not meant to be bent or pulled out. I have no experience with a Sawzall but suspect a blade will not last long cutting these nails.

Battery operated sawzall.................

I finally broke down and bought some Dewalt battery tools and extra batteries. I have fixed my baler in field with the grinder when it would have taken me more than an hour to get it to an electric outlet and fix it. Took 10 minutes in the field.

Just get good quality stuff.

msscamp said:
Why not use a wrecking bar and a block of wood? Sure, it's a little more work - but the nails are gone (and can usually be re-used with a little straightening), and the boards are salvaged.
Having spent 2 days 'salvaging' boards nailed onto posts with ring shank nails, I now see the error of my post. I sincerely apologize. :oops:

msscamp":3r96kpnn said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You won't forget the lesson you just learned with those nails. I'd just bet about everyone here has tried it themselves and learned the hard way. (I did) That is why we had all the "sawzall" replies.

I hate it when all you see is the head and don't realize it is a pole barn nail.

I also hate it when they nail it in the wrong place while constructing and you can't tear it out.

backhoeboogie":356wbl4n said:
msscamp":356wbl4n said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You won't forget the lesson you just learned with those nails. I'd just bet about everyone here has tried it themselves and learned the hard way. (I did) That is why we had all the "sawzall" replies.

I hate it when all you see is the head and don't realize it is a pole barn nail.

I also hate it when they nail it in the wrong place while constructing and you can't tear it out.

I would have to agree - on all counts! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Use a grinder, grind the head of the nails off, then pull the board off. May need a generator for the grinder, but a drill will do the same thing.

tryinhard

Latest posts