Salt as limiter - bulk feed ratio

Help Support CattleToday:

Gbcattle

Reaction score
This is my first post to this group, so my apologies if this discussion is a repeat.

Bulk feeding replacement heifers (growing, 600-650lb) soon to calve first time. I'm wanting to use salt as a limiter as Accuration is killing costs.

Anyone who uses or has used salt as limiter, what feed mix ratio are you most pleased with?

Thank you

I use Salt start at 20% IMO as that is what most range meals have.
My feed is custom blended with 33% to hold my cattle to 5 pounds a day.
Point is again IMO start low and work up as some cattle the salt doesn't effect as much.
Maybe TB will come along and give you some information insight.
Real grumpy fellow but is our local feed guru.

Gbcattle":2g8qkrn4 said:
This is my first post to this group, so my apologies if this discussion is a repeat.

Bulk feeding replacement heifers (growing, 600-650lb) soon to calve first time. I'm wanting to use salt as a limiter as Accuration is killing costs.

Anyone who uses or has used salt as limiter, what feed mix ratio are you most pleased with?

Thank you
GB salt intake for a cow is approximately 1 lb. per head per day (approximately) so 500 lbs. of salt to a ton of feed mix would allow 500 cows to eat approximately 4 lbs. of the mix of which 1 lb. would be salt. A good mix many feed down in this area is 1000 lbs. of corn, 500 lbs. of cottonseed meal and 500 lbs. of salt. This will give you a mix of about 14% crude protein and total digestible nutrients close to 75% so makes a pretty good supplement. If you feel they are eating too much just increase the salt 10-15%.

Thank you very much.
Is soybean meal comparable to cottonseed? I am in Missouri so cottonseed not so prevalent.
Also using corn gluten rather than straight corn. Any issues there?

TexasBred":17i8um13 said:
GB salt intake for a cow is approximately 1 lb. per head per day (approximately) so 500 lbs. of salt to a ton of feed mix would allow 500 cows to eat approximately 4 lbs. of the mix of which 1 lb. would be salt. A good mix many feed down in this area is 1000 lbs. of corn, 500 lbs. of cottonseed meal and 500 lbs. of salt. This will give you a mix of about 14% crude protein and total digestible nutrients close to 75% so makes a pretty good supplement. If you feel they are eating too much just increase the salt 10-15%.
TB is that fed like range meal where you just put it out and leave if for them to eat as wanted?
is the corn chopped or whole , I can buy whole a lot cheaper than chopped

This year winter with unusual cold and dry conditions there was a lack of our usual winter Grass.
The cows out on dry standing grass and tubs started looking a little rough. I think they weren't able to get enough consumption from the tubs. So we mixed one part salt and two parts cottonseed meal and put it out free choice. How much good it's doing is to soon to say. They eat it. They seem to be holding their own.... maybe even looking better.

BRYANT":1au3gk7i said:
TexasBred":1au3gk7i said:
TB is that fed like range meal where you just put it out and leave if for them to eat as wanted?
is the corn chopped or whole , I can buy whole a lot cheaper than chopped
Yessir, free choice. Most use chopped corn but it won't hurt anything to use whole corn.

TexasBred":xuecr4sh said:
Gbcattle":xuecr4sh said:

Thank you
I know it is dependent on different factors, but what would be the approx fat and energy in that mix?

greybeard":2oi0m20h said:
TexasBred":2oi0m20h said:
Gbcattle":2oi0m20h said:

Thank you
I know it is dependent on different factors, but what would be the approx fat and energy in that mix?
Almost no fat as oil mills pretty much get all the oil out of cottonseed meal. Just guestimating but total digestible energy should be around 800 calories per pound of feed....... For reference a good dairy ration will run around 1400 calories per pound.

Latest posts