Salorn

Help Support CattleToday:

Great article. It's a shame to see that kind of work and dedication not catching on yet. In theory it's great, but so is my theory for Canadian cattlemen using 'hair' genetics in thier cattle. But I guess 'what's good for some ain't always good for the weak-minded.' - Cpt. Augustus Mcrae ;-) :cboy:

I don't have any experience with the Salorn but they do look and sound good. I know another Longhorn breeder that has a couple and they like them. Of course, they also have them in black now. I do know that the Longorn crosses well with other breeds and that's what I've been trying to get other folks to see. I don't expect everyone to raise Longhorns but I do believe that any cattleman can benefit from having a percentage of Longhorn blood in their commercial herd-namely heterosis and calving ease.

Might have more creedence if it wasn't copied directly from their website. Where's the research other then the dead guys and his opinions. I'm sure the Hayes Converter folks think that their cattle are perfect for the entire world also.
Ah well, next week there will be another wizard breed being touted that is all things to all people.

dun

As I said earlier I don't know much about Salorns-I just saw the article and thought that some folks would like to read it.

magpie wrote:
wanting info, past or present about salorn cattle

anybody have experience with them??

thanks

magpie

I know that there is more information about them, I doubt if they'll ever catch on and take the place of some of the more popular breeds but I don't think that I'd be opposed to trying them out. I guess whatever works for each person on an individual basis.

TennCattleMan57":3pehexvk said:
Well it is kinda strange that all the dead people are the experts. What about the people that are alive?

Authors Dead or alive, credible research lives on, whatever the subject. When "new" research invalidates the "old" research, then things move on.

dun":2elg37qk said:
Might have more creedence if it wasn't copied directly from their website. Where's the research other then the dead guys and his opinions. I'm sure the Hayes Converter folks think that their cattle are perfect for the entire world also.
Ah well, next week there will be another wizard breed being touted that is all things to all people.

dun

Research, practices, improvements in animal and plant materials, new insights, etc., progress with time. Nothing we know is fixed. Technology is progressing at astronomical rates: who knows what will develop in 10, 50, or 100 years. All we can do "now" is to go with what we have, keep an open mind, and accept the future for whatever it holds.

After all, how much as global technology (in all possible areas) compounded in complexity in the 50 years between 1950 and 2000? The world is doing some pretty scary and technological things in 2005 (it's even more scary to imagine what is happening that we DON'T know about among the governments, research facilities, and other places)....

One is either moving toward the future or falling behind...one just cannot stand still in the nanoseconds of the time/space continuum...

Running Arrow Bill":1ijf2f7p said:
dun":1ijf2f7p said:

dun

Research, practices, improvements in animal and plant materials, new insights, etc., progress with time. Nothing we know is fixed. Technology is progressing at astronomical rates: who knows what will develop in 10, 50, or 100 years. All we can do "now" is to go with what we have, keep an open mind, and accept the future for whatever it holds.

After all, how much as global technology (in all possible areas) compounded in complexity in the 50 years between 1950 and 2000? The world is doing some pretty scary and technological things in 2005 (it's even more scary to imagine what is happening that we DON'T know about among the governments, research facilities, and other places)....

One is either moving toward the future or falling behind...one just cannot stand still in the nanoseconds of the time/space continuum...

HUH

dun

TCM57,
Give me a holler when you're ready to think about buying some Longhorns and I'm sure I can help you with some. You can private message me if you want to talk more about them. Thanks.

Latest posts