Salorn

Help Support CattleToday:

mpassmore85

Reaction score
Does anyone know where one could find some registered Salorn cattle from?

In southern Alberta and can't find anything. Travel don't matter a ton within 1500 or so miles

mpassmore85":qkhp882c said:
Does anyone know where one could find some registered Salorn cattle from?

In southern Alberta and can't find anything. Travel don't matter a ton within 1500 or so miles
I think they're "extinct" or just disappeared. Lot of old composite breeds are either gone or extremely rare. Why not buy a saler bull and put him on your cows?

I'd never heard of them. Had to ask Mr. Google. I can't understand why a composite of two relatively unpopular breeds didn't take off.

(Someone told me we're supposed to use purple text to denote sarcasm.)

I recently had posted about thinking I had wound up with a couple percentage longhorns, before that I had never thought much about them at all, and knew nothing about them. After reading a lot about them, they probably do have some positive traits, but to me they just aren't something I would want a whole herd of, a few might be ok. As for Saler, I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge about either, but from what I have seen I'm not impressed. I have heard some folks say they are about the worst disposition cattle they have seen. The few that I have had or seen have been finer boned and curly haired which is a no no for me, I like cattle that are at least fairly slick haired. I'm sure there are good ones out there, just commenting on what I have seen.

I don't have registered Salorns, but I have been breeding my Longhorn cross cows to a Saler bull for several years. The only better calves I have had out of these cows were out of a Charolais bull. The "Salorn" calves have been good for me. The steers have grown well, and I have 3 heifers I kept back last year to add to the herd this winter. We shall see how they do as cows.

KYhills, yes, 20 years ago Salers did have bad dispositions.. for some that was a good thing when the cows really had to defend calves from predators, they did it very effectively... I do hear the breed as a whole has gotten much better recently. It's been 20 years since we had a Saler bull. They are finer boned, I don't mind that, I don't eat bone.. and the curly fur I have never noticed at all. SOME of my Saler influenced cows are the most docile I've ever had.
I'd be far more interested in a Gelbvieh/Saler cross.. probably between 1/2-3/4 GV would be good... Gelbvieh would shrink the mature cow size a little, both are meaty, Salers tend to be LONG, with exceptional udders, hooves, milk and calving ability

If salers haven't calmed down, you cross that with the LH ability to jump, and you'd have a formidable combination.

Some of the salers that I've dealt with make me cringe whenever I think of them. Evil, evil witches.

I have a good friend that raises top notch Saler cattle. They are as good as the good one from any other breed. I never knew of them before I met him.

crossbredcalves":38jn1tcd said:
I don't have registered Salorns, but I have been breeding my Longhorn cross cows to a Saler bull for several years. The only better calves I have had out of these cows were out of a Charolais bull. The "Salorn" calves have been good for me. The steers have grown well, and I have 3 heifers I kept back last year to add to the herd this winter. We shall see how they do as cows.

Thought I'd check in and see how your heifers are fairing. Also thought I'd ask where you are located.

Kit

Bigfoot":162arf7m said:
If salers haven't calmed down, you cross that with the LH ability to jump, and you'd have a formidable combination.
The Saler has an exceptional ability to jump as it is

wildcatkit52":162arf7m said:
crossbredcalves":162arf7m said:

Thought I'd check in and see how your heifers are fairing. Also thought I'd ask where you are located.

Kit
He's in southern Alberta (per first post)..

I'd like to hear how things worked out too.

One thing I'd like to add is that more important than exact breed % composition, in my eyes at least, is the individuals in that breed.
I have some 15/16th siblings.. they differ by a great grandma.. they're completely different animals and continue to be while some less related animals from the same maternal line are far more similar

wildcatkit52":29ppo6a5 said:
crossbredcalves":29ppo6a5 said:

Kit

I'm in Northeast Arkansas. The heifers look great. They should start calving beginning of September. Two have started getting loose in the bag and rear end.

crossbredcalves":1gfuwl54 said:
I don't have registered Salorns, but I have been breeding my Longhorn cross cows to a Saler bull for several years.
The only better calves I have had out of these cows were out of a Charolais bull.
Then why do you choose to continue to use a Saler bull over a Charolais bull?

Nesikep":2949rj7w said:
KYhills, yes, 20 years ago Salers did have bad dispositions.. for some that was a good thing when the cows really had to defend calves from predators, they did it very effectively... I do hear the breed as a whole has gotten much better recently. It's been 20 years since we had a Saler bull. They are finer boned, I don't mind that, I don't eat bone.. and the curly fur I have never noticed at all. SOME of my Saler influenced cows are the most docile I've ever had.
I'd be far more interested in a Gelbvieh/Saler cross.. probably between 1/2-3/4 GV would be good... Gelbvieh would shrink the mature cow size a little, both are meaty, Salers tend to be LONG, with exceptional udders, hooves, milk and calving ability

IMO if I had a docility issue I wouldn't use a Gelbvieh. I'm basing that strictly on our experience with one bull so a limited group but have heard similar stories. It is frustrating when you have to cull some of your best replacements for docility issues.

elkwc":2eg5zril said:
Nesikep":2eg5zril said:

IMO if I had a docility issue I wouldn't use a Gelbvieh. I'm basing that strictly on our experience with one bull so a limited group but have heard similar stories. It is frustrating when you have to cull some of your best replacements for docility issues.
I just saw a meme on facebook warning of the dispositions of Limos.. By far my worst experience with bulls was the Shorthorns, had two of them that were pretty ornery.. The cows it was the Salers followed by Shorthorn at times.. My gelbvieh and limos are total sucks

My Limos and Gelbvieh crosses..
[youtube]https://youtu.be/b6KexGdfq58[/youtube]

Worst dispositions I seen were in Black Angus more than Gelbvieh. The Gelbvieh I encountered were pretty quiet and lazy.

Son of Butch":3dgamk80 said:
crossbredcalves":3dgamk80 said:
I don't have registered Salorns, but I have been breeding my Longhorn cross cows to a Saler bull for several years.
The only better calves I have had out of these cows were out of a Charolais bull.
Then why do you choose to continue to use a Saler bull over a Charolais bull?

At the time, it was for convenience. Back in the spring, my Saler bull got to roaming when I pulled him from a group of heifers and put back with my cows. He ended up a couple miles down the road, so when I got him caught, I took him straight to the sale barn. I borrowed my dad's Charolais bull, so I'm back that way now.

Latest posts