Are Salers da bomb?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • um, no.

• Salers cuss too much

• Total voters
from what I've read lately the breed seems to have attitude problems. seems to come from one grand champ female.
Learn more turn your radio to channel 19 :lol:

Um, no, not 'da bomb, but they are good mamas, easy calvers, and do make a nice F1. For whatever reason, they get docked a bit around here. Seen some really nice Char and angus crosses. Guy up the road puts angus on the char/saler x and has some nice calves, of course, that's probably due to his insight in choosing a bull supplier ;-)

Lee

anyone besides me notice that all these questions about salers that popped up were asked by a guest? most all leave their email address HOTMAIL OR YAHOO all have the same basic sentence structure!
then our grand champion saler pop's in with his pasted post!!!
makes me wonder what the underlining motive is?
just seems strange to me, more than just breed bragging!!!!!
maybe i am paranoid , but maybe not! :shock:

Yeah you are paranoid. I wasnt bragging. I was merely voicing my opinion. Which if I am not mistaken is what these boards are for. It is a proven fact that salers calve easy because they have the largest pelvic area of any cattle breed. Everyone has that one special breed they like. I had 560 acres back in the 70s and ran polled hereford. Two-hundred and fifty head to be exact. I had a Beartooth ranch bull. Im sure some of you hereford breeders have heard of those. I also had a beefmaster bull. I had to sale my farm because at the time my wife was sick. I was out of the business up until about 7 months ago. I just couldnt get farming out of my blood. So until you have walked a mile in my shoes and been through and seen what Ive seen over the years dont even begin to imagine that you can figure me out or what have you. There is one thing for sure. Herefords are not what they used to be and more and more breeders are seeing that this day and age. So relax dont be so paranoid. Go take antibiotics and lay down. Seems to do cattle good maybe it will work for you.

I will admit though some of the salers from back in the 70s were very wild. I can assure you though the ones I have been around recently have not been the least bit wild. Any cattle breed can be a little wild. The more time you spend amongst your cattle and the more they are worked and are around people the more docile they will be.

I wouldn't have a dang Saler on my place! They are wild, dangerous, and don't make a good piece of beef. The calves grow slow, the heifers won't breed until they are three years old, and will eat you out of house and home. The only thing I like less than a Saler is dang Gelbvieh. ;-)

I knew this the first time I saw a picture of them in a magazine! And that's as close as I have ever gotten. :lol: :lol:

I ain't gonna be like CommercialcattlemanTN, If I'm gonna lie, it's gonna be a good one!

Don't know about anyone else, but I gotta get me some of these Saler Cattle. Wont stop until I buy up every last one. :D

Thanks CCT

Mike .....timing is everything....

RainMan":3o5hyhh4 said:
Don't know about anyone else, but I gotta get me some of these Saler Cattle. Wont stop until I buy up every last one. :D

Thanks CCT

Mike .....timing is everything....

I didn't know you had to "BUY" Saler cattle?

I thought they gave them away just to get rid of them! :roll:

thanks for confirming what i thought! :D :D no where in my post here mentioned ANY names! so WHO is parinoid?? :D :D
560 acres in the 70's ok ran twice that in the 60's have walked more than one mile in your shoes as have more than 1/2 the folks on this board! lost my place when i willingly went to nam!
we all have gone thru some bad times, loss of family, loss of land, and other things.
your opinion is more than welcome on this board, your attiude to me is offensive! but that is just MHO!
sorry medic and others that find me offensive !!!!! i just had to say this

memanpa":26vawbh9 said:
thanks for confirming what i thought! :D :D no where in my post here mentioned ANY names! so WHO is parinoid?? :D :D
560 acres in the 70's ok ran twice that in the 60's have walked more than one mile in your shoes as have more than 1/2 the folks on this board! lost my place when i willingly went to nam!
we all have gone thru some bad times, loss of family, loss of land, and other things.
your opinion is more than welcome on this board, your attiude to me is offensive! but that is just MHO!

Does come across like he thinks he is someone important like Davy Crockett.

Caustic Burno":2e3wqubl said:
memanpa":2e3wqubl said:

Does come across like he thinks he is someone important like Davy Crockett.

It's "DAVID" to you son. :lol:

CommercialCattleManTN":3dl7hugc said:
Yeah you are paranoid. I wasnt bragging. I was merely voicing my opinion. Which if I am not mistaken is what these boards are for. It is a proven fact that salers calve easy because they have the largest pelvic area of any cattle breed. Everyone has that one special breed they like. I had 560 acres back in the 70s and ran polled hereford. Two-hundred and fifty head to be exact. I had a Beartooth ranch bull. Im sure some of you hereford breeders have heard of those. I also had a beefmaster bull. I had to sale my farm because at the time my wife was sick. I was out of the business up until about 7 months ago. I just couldnt get farming out of my blood. So until you have walked a mile in my shoes and been through and seen what Ive seen over the years dont even begin to imagine that you can figure me out or what have you. There is one thing for sure. Herefords are not what they used to be and more and more breeders are seeing that this day and age. So relax dont be so paranoid. Go take antibiotics and lay down. Seems to do cattle good maybe it will work for you.

Get that burr out from under your saddle there partner. :cboy: You are on a cattle forum here which means that the walk a mile in my shoes and the I had it so bad you will never be able to understand is going to be a hard sell.

Herefords are not what they used to be and more and more breeders are seeing that this day and age.

If you don't mind, could we get an explanation for this ridiculous statement? :shock:

We had a big old red saler bull back in the early 80s. Not a bad looking critter, but the darn thing was as tall as a thoroughbred stallion and twice as good a jumper. Threw some decent calves, but they were too thin to compete with what everyone else was using. All in all, I don't have much against them, but they wouldn't be my first choice of critter either.

MikeC":2i3byckh said:
Herefords are not what they used to be and more and more breeders are seeing that this day and age.

If you don't mind, could we get an explanation for this ridiculous statement? :shock:

I wanted an explanation of that statement too. With AI any Hereford breeder that prefers the bulls of the past can live in the past if he wants to.

Enforcer 107H, Vindicator, WSF PRL Justa Banner, Braxton Giant 1, Victor Domino 1, RWJ Victor J3 212, etc (to name a few) are STILL active and I think are all still sold by Jim Reed. The oldest name I recognized on the Reed Enterprises Site is the 1961 model RWJ Victor F21 H125 bull. Why anybody today would use a Herf with only a +4 weaning wt EPD and a +4 Milk EPD is beyond my comprehension (mini-Herfs???s); but if you want a really old style Herf Jim Reed is selling the semen at only $5 a straw, $30 a certificate. If you want to use no post 1980 bull you don't have to in this day and age. If somebody wants to have an elite 1976 herd he could do that very easily and by stocking up on semen could live trapped in time for the next 20-30 years. If the old Herefords are better than the new Herefords, prove it by breeding the old Herefords.

I personally see Herefords with the same qualities as those legendary sires and more performance all the time. I actually think there are MORE good Herfs floating around now than there was in the glorious 1970s. There MAY even be at least a bull or two in the breed that will beat the Salers!!! (chuckling)

Latest posts