Salebarn 5/25

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Number's down this week.

Back to the farm cow's few and far in between.
A few pair's 1100 to 1350

Kill cow's and slaughter bull's down a couple dollar's a hundred.
Didn't see a cow I would bid on this week.

Calves were steady

That's about about the same as here on the trend, and the same that in the last 2 weeks I have not seen a cow or pair I would even want.

The local sales I sometimes attend will slow to a trickle now, unless it would happen to get dry this summer.
Little sale I was at today only had about 50 feeders and a dozen pairs. I might slip down to Winchester Monday afternoon if I am not too busy. I like watching the pairs and bred cows go through down there, although I think a lot of them are trader cattle.

Our market was softer than last week on calves but better than I was expecting considering the way the board cratered this week. I went to Henderson tonight for a special replacement sale. It was good but not a runaway. Some of the heavybred cattle brought too much considering they will calve in the summer. I thought some of the 4 to 5 month bred cattle were too cheap for what they were.
Top pairs brought up to $1700. Some of the older pairs and small pairs brought $1050 to $1200. I saw a fancy set of Brangus cows that were 4 year olds and were 4 and 5 months bred bring $1325.

Our sale that's avg's 1400 to 2000hd only had about 800.a lot of the other buyers were not even there, and I have been reduced by some of my backgrounders on what I can buy.

Haven't things changed in the last 40 years. Sale barns used to be closed for Thanksgiving and about 10 days at Christmas. I can remember working at the old sale in Nacogdoches on July 4th back in 1975. Now it seems that everyone is wanting off several days around every holiday. A couple of the regular order buyers were out Saturday.

Latest posts