sale barn cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

City Guy

Reaction score
I have never attended a sale barn auction, but at the association sponsored sales and private herd sales I have attended there is an abundance of information about the cattle. Someone is usually on hand to answer questions. Does this not happen at sale barns? It seems that a lot of questions from newbies on this site are about identifying animals (or their ailments) bought from sale barns.
Do these places have standards? Are there disclosure laws or at least requirements regarding lineage or source?

City Guy":2ovq59ax said:
I have never attended a sale barn auction, but at the association sponsored sales and private herd sales I have attended there is an abundance of information about the cattle. Someone is usually on hand to answer questions. Does this not happen at sale barns? It seems that a lot of questions from newbies on this site are about identifying animals (or their ailments) bought from sale barns.
Do these places have standards? Are there disclosure laws or at least requirements regarding lineage or source?

Some of our sale barns have special breeder - replacement sales monthly. And the owners of the cattle will sometimes stand and tell you about the cattle. A lot of good cattle go through the sale barn. But there's alot of problems sold they also.

M-5":2ieuz4j0 said:
No , it's buyer beware , buying at the barn is not for novices
Do you mean that at your sale barns they do not tell you everything. Things like the calf has already been traded once this week, it is half jersey with no shots. That it is not weaned. That it had feed with salt so it would fill up on water. :hide:
I can't believe I am stupid enough to even post on this topic. Must be the shine.

kenny thomas":60qt1mf8 said:
M-5":60qt1mf8 said:
No , it's buyer beware , buying at the barn is not for novices
Do you mean that at your sale barns they do not tell you everything.
Things like the calf has already been traded once this week, it is half jersey with no shots.
That it is not weaned. That it had feed with salt so it would fill up on water.

:hide:
I can't believe I am stupid enough to even post on this topic. Must be the shine.
No, a good post Kenny.
At least your comments made me chuckle and I come here to be amused as much as I do to learn.

Unless it's specifically a replacement or dispersal sale, WYSIWYG.. What you see is what you get, no warranties expressed or implied, though I think there is a requirement that they walk, and that any drug treatment withdrawal time has elapsed.

Here's a cow I thought about bringing home from the sale barn once. I didn't though
IMG_7566sm.jpg

City Guy":1q62j34g said:

You need o site thru a dozen or so sales. Just to get a feel for the market.

The sale in Dublin used to start around 1 p.m. and I have been there until 4 a.m. the next day with the sale still going fast a furious. Thousands. No way to take the time to discuss each animal.

How do buyers approach those big sales? Watch til they fall asleep, wake up and start again? Show up at a certain time, filled in by the barn on an approximate time that cattle they are interested in will go through? The ones I have been to the will sell somewhat lightest to heaviest, but it's not set in stone. They get heavier for a while, then back to the lighter calves for a while.

The buyers at the local sale here are there all day. Most seem to buy all sorts of cattle; fats, slaughter, stockers….
There are a few that specialize, but not many.

The barn has a set schedule they follow every week; fats, bulls, cows, then stockers. The buyers are part of the landscape there. Everyone has their own seat, and they all know each other well.

True Grit Farms":3c4kj14q said:
City Guy":3c4kj14q said:

Some of our sale barns have special breeder - replacement sales monthly. And the owners of the cattle will sometimes stand and tell you about the cattle. A lot of good cattle go through the sale barn. But there's alot of problems sold they also.

X2. When we're selling calves not only does the Sale Barn promote them prior to the sale, I'm right there to answer questions. When we sell a canner, bad udder, bad feed, psycho or bull past his prime I show up after the sale to pick up the check (or the next day, especially if it's a wild one :)).

how much of a gambler are you?

I agree with M5....expensive proposition for novice buyers.

experienced buyers sometimes get to go for a thrill ride.

I always buy from a person I can identify and go back to...

pdfangus":2k7j3aif said:
how much of a gambler are you?

I agree with M5....expensive proposition for novice buyers.

experienced buyers sometimes get to go for a thrill ride.

I always buy from a person I can identify and go back to...

Not near as much about gambling versus knowing what you are doing and having facilities to handle them when you get home.
We agree it is not for the novice it is for the experienced cattleman with a discerning eye there is money in them.

I have some pretty good red Angus at least I think so. All are sold through the sale barn. I am not a born salesman and hate dickering with folks on what I am selling. I Put them in the sale and do not look back, cash the check and go on about my business. Usually I un-load and tell them to mail me the check I also hate sitting around a sale barn all day long.

Caustic Burno":1t4558cs said:
We agree it is not for the novice it is for the experienced cattleman with a discerning eye there is money in them.

I don't have the eye. Grandaddy did.

By the time I am thru looking and deciding to bid, they're already out the door. Sold.

backhoeboogie":28mlypwi said:
Caustic Burno":28mlypwi said:

By the time I am thru looking and deciding to bid, they're already out the door. Sold.

It's a gift. ;-)
Picked this little dun girl couple months ago to keep.

That gal looks like some of mine. I am covering the brangus cows with a char bull out of Wyoming Wind. It takes off the ear and adds that color you have.

I don't have many left after selling the farm. I am heading for that nurse cow operation and planning on doing it on just 17 acres. Freezer beef. Less capital needed. Not much of a market influence. I'll get plenty of steak and roast. Still get to hustle a few workings now and then. My daughter is ramping up now. 175 cows. Mostly registered BM :-(

backhoeboogie":3mfc32x8 said:
Caustic Burno":3mfc32x8 said:

I can be learned but just like any other thing you learn, education can be expensive. And even the real good experienced buyer get a loser from time to time. You have to have a discerning eye and work on the average.

Latest posts