Safety Tip

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Learned today if you are going to be hammering metal expecially metal with carbide in it be careful and wear plenty of safety gear cause the carbide is brittle and can explode into many pieces of shrapnel if hit at the right angle. I learned this the hard way today and we had to carry a fella to the ER cause a piece of carbide exploded and cut an artery in his arm. Found out this was a fairly common occurance.

novatech":2hwaluca said:
What caused the carbide to explode?
Jogeephus":2hwaluca said:
Learned today if you are going to be hammering metal expecially metal with carbide in it be careful and wear plenty of safety gear cause the carbide is brittle and can explode into many pieces of shrapnel if hit at the right angle. I learned this the hard way today and we had to carry a fella to the ER cause a piece of carbide exploded and cut an artery in his arm. Found out this was a fairly common occurance.
:)

BTW - he is ok. Carbide hit his bone and ricoched out. They patched him up. Couple hours after this another fella almost cut his finger off when a wrench slipped. I think we all should have stayed home and watched Oprah reruns.

Jogeephus":3qk5kazz said:
BTW - he is ok. Carbide hit his bone and ricoched out. They patched him up. Couple hours after this another fella almost cut his finger off when a wrench slipped. I think we all should have stayed home and watched Oprah reruns.
Sometimes this is the best thing to do. If your luck is running bad, don't push it.