Water trough Tip

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Im sure most have a drain plug on their troughs but like most of mine they are not removable because of father time . and if you do not have a trash pump you can use an old above ground pool pump if you have an electrical source close by. I have a small generator I use in remote places but close to the house I just run an extension cord. The pumps are easy to find on CL and a you can find them in town out by the curbs if you drive around on trash day ahead of the garbage truck. Just another "poor men have Poor ways" Tip

I use an old 12 volt bilge pump, works anywhere I can tote a battery. Surprising how much water one of those things can pump out.

connect a 50' garden hose to a faucet. Hold the end up and run the water till a clear stream comes out the end. Turn the water off, and disconnect the female end, and quickly connect the 2 ends together.
Go to the tank, disconnect the 2 joined ends, hold thumb over the male end and drop the female end in the tank and toss the other end away from the tank.
The water will siphon out on it's own. No power source, pump or battery needed.
Gravity never sleeps, it's free, and it's everywhere.

greybeard":5vqo7qbr said:
connect a 50' garden hose to a faucet. Hold the end up and run the water till a clear stream comes out the end. Turn the water off, and disconnect the female end, and quickly connect the 2 ends together.
Go to the tank, disconnect the 2 joined ends, hold thumb over the male end and drop the female end in the tank and toss the other end away from the tank.

I've used this method but gravity requires patience , I ran out of patience 40 yrs ago

greybeard":3hai45e7 said:

I do this when I have time but just fill the hose in the tank itself and toss out an end.

M-5":ybcx3cq4 said:
Im sure most have a drain plug on their troughs but like most of mine they are not removable because of father time . and if you do not have a trash pump you can use an old above ground pool pump if you have an electrical source close by. I have a small generator I use in remote places but close to the house I just run an extension cord. The pumps are easy to find on CL and a you can find them in town out by the curbs if you drive around on trash day ahead of the garbage truck. Just another "poor men have Poor ways" Tip

Thank you for the tip M-5, father time has caught a lot of my drain plugs as well :mad:

dun":3jjbb1h9 said:
I use an old 12 volt bilge pump, works anywhere I can tote a battery. Surprising how much water one of those things can pump out.

If you put a screen on the input - - would a bilge pump be a good one for watering cattle out of a pond?

Latest posts