unrolling hay tip number 99

Help Support CattleToday:

BRYANT":ovk9zaze said:
I never have unrolled hay so tell what the reason is ?
will they clean it up better and not try to lay on it. One place I have a feeder but the other I just put them out and take the netting off. I don't see very many people around here unroll it, know of a couple that will not even cut the string.
Less waste gives every animal equal access.

M-5":abr19uf5 said:
Dave":abr19uf5 said:
AC is for wimps? Yet you require a cab tractor on a 30 degree day? Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Just asking. My tractor only has a roll bar which doesn't provide much shade in the summer or shelter in the winter.
My family tree indicates we were designed to handle the heat better than the cold.
Dave his tree might not have a lot of forks in it either. Might be a whole lot of husbands and wives calling the same woman grandma. Does keep Christmas simple though. Not a lot of traveling to diffrent relatives.

BRYANT":2rls8fte said:
will they clean it up better and not try to lay on it. One place I have a feeder but the other I just put them out and take the netting off. I don't see very many people around here unroll it, know of a couple that will not even cut the string.
It's by far the best way to do it. You can't put out more than they are going to eat though or they will thank you for the nice bed you unrolled for them. I also don't unroll a lot in the rain.
Let's all the cows get some hay too, not just the boss cows.
When I first heard of it I thought it was the craziest idea in the world, had to be to much waste that way. When I did some I saw it was by far the best.

jedstivers":bfa3xal5 said:
BRYANT":bfa3xal5 said:
It's by far the best way to do it. You can't put out more than they are going to eat though or they will thank you for the nice bed you unrolled for them. I also don't unroll a lot in the rain.
Let's all the cows get some hay too, not just the boss cows.
When I first heard of it I thought it was the craziest idea in the world, had to be to much waste that way. When I did some I saw it was by far the best.
I unroll it all, it makes me see every animal every day, or night most times. As said even the timid cows get to eat. Any small amount of waste is scattered out and not in one spot. I also have much less scares in the calves once I got them out of the mud.

Plus it scatters the fertilizer and organic matter out and let's it work for you plus it helps with reseeding

We have unrolled for yrs and wouldn't do it any other way
We have used everything from homemade unrollers to trucks with Hyd unrollers we even had some hay trailers that had a chain unrollers mounted on the front it would hold 8 bales and then rolled the bale as you drove and made a windrow out the side
I prefer the trucks
M-5 I figured up in the Mtns where you live you just rolled then off the side and let them unroll by theirselves

MoCrackerCowboy":j1k98kkx said:
Plus it scatters the fertilizer and organic matter out and let's it work for you plus it helps with reseeding

We have unrolled for yrs and wouldn't do it any other way
We have used everything from homemade unrollers to trucks with Hyd unrollers we even had some hay trailers that had a chain unrollers mounted on the front it would hold 8 bales and then rolled the bale as you drove and made a windrow out the side
I prefer the trucks
M-5 I figured up in the Mtns where you live you just rolled then off the side and let them unroll by theirselves
It gets to cold for him to do that, freezes on the way down.

M-5":74liz4tv said:
last year I posted the setup I used with my old JD and FEL with a single wheel on prong frame. this yr on the cold days I use the cab tractor. I have not put a fel on it yet so I use it to feed some . last weekend I cut down an old 4lug boat axle and welded it back at 24" OC built a bracket to bolt to the NH and put golf cart tires on it , It works very well and only leaves a small core till it rolls over the top of it . now I don't have the worry of impaling a cow while unrolling hay

On a roller like that where hieght is not adjustable. What would you consider to be the ideal ground clearance

callmefence":37ih846q said:
M-5":37ih846q said:
last year I posted the setup I used with my old JD and FEL with a single wheel on prong frame. this yr on the cold days I use the cab tractor. I have not put a fel on it yet so I use it to feed some . last weekend I cut down an old 4lug boat axle and welded it back at 24" OC built a bracket to bolt to the NH and put golf cart tires on it , It works very well and only leaves a small core till it rolls over the top of it . now I don't have the worry of impaling a cow while unrolling hay

On a roller like that where hieght is not adjustable. What would you consider to be the ideal ground clearance

I will have to measure it cause I just guessed at the height but I figure its about 18" to 24" off the ground when u get down to the core its15" to 18" or so and the wheels roll over it . I don't worry about unrolling the core cause the bull usually handles that task for me.

jedstivers":3c6ngrc6 said:
M-5":3c6ngrc6 said:
Dave":3c6ngrc6 said:
AC is for wimps? Yet you require a cab tractor on a 30 degree day? Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Just asking. My tractor only has a roll bar which doesn't provide much shade in the summer or shelter in the winter.
My family tree indicates we were designed to handle the heat better than the cold.
Dave his tree might not have a lot of forks in it either. Might be a whole lot of husbands and wives calling the same woman grandma. Does keep Christmas simple though. Not a lot of traveling to diffrent relatives.
He gives a whole new meaning to "go out on a limb"...

M-5":f46jx3uf said:
The centerline of the axle..How high off the ground is it..approximately?

greybeard":m7inp4wk said:
M-5":m7inp4wk said:
The centerline of the axle..How high off the ground is it..approximately?

18" to 24"

Latest posts