Sad 4th of July for Radar the Rooster.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
My favorite rooster, Radar, 5months, succumbed to predators on the morn of July 4, 2007. Specific cause of death is undetermined at this time.

Survivors include his hens, Minnie, Pearl, and Flo and one brother, Conway.

He was a good rooster and quite the crower. he will be missed.

RIP Radar!

Picture2424.jpg

Sorry to hear about Radar Beefy,should we send flowers or is there a charity you would like donations to go to?What a sad end to such a young fella.

Bet it was a Cooper's hawk. They dessimated my free range totally organic rooster farm. Tough loss.

I luv herfrds":erl5adna said:
Sorry to hear that.
What breed was he? He looks like a really beautiful bird.

thanks, he was really handsome. i never did know for sure-he is a crossbred chicken- he and minnie both appear to be heavy on the Ancona though.

Jogeephus":2lfxfes1 said:
Bet it was a Cooper's hawk. They dessimated my free range totally organic rooster farm. Tough loss.

i dont know, i saw a small area of feathers and a slight feather trail. i thought i was being real smart by putting up a piece of plywood next to the house for them to get out of the rain (they never did) but apparently a struggle took place there b/c it was knocked all around. its right next to where their food stays but whatever it was didnt eat the food. i've pretty much ruled out coons, b/c i'm pretty sure it happened in the morning while they were feeding, plus the food had been there overnight and i feel like coons would eat it. ive seen bobcats and foxes both in the yard, as well as raccoons and owls. today, riding down the road, i saw a hawk flying around the neighbors home...

i was real anxious to get some babies out of him.. my hens should be laying soon. he was a good rooster, too brave though and a little cocky, even.

My laying hens fed a den of foxes one year. The kits were outside on our uncles place digging for mice and not scared as I drove past. Needless to say I went home and got the .222 and got 3 out of 4. Sorry that last shot was at a running target.
I call out the trapper once in awhile and he shoots coyotes from the plane. We had a real brazen one that went after our dog while he was with my son, son came running home and I went out with the .243, but he was gone already. Trapper got him.
I hate feeding predators with my flocks. :x

Sorry to hear about Radar.

He was probably keeping an eye out for the hens and got it himself. I see our roosters keeping a lookout while the hens go about their business.

I hate to say it Beefy but whatever got him will probably be back.

Our dogs pretty much keep the predators at bay. We do loose some now and then but they do a pretty good job overall. If they hear a chicken make a strange noise they come alive.

Beefy":1xx3w5i3 said:
Jogeephus":1xx3w5i3 said:

i dont know, i saw a small area of feathers and a slight feather trail. i thought i was being real smart by putting up a piece of plywood next to the house for them to get out of the rain (they never did) but apparently a struggle took place there b/c it was knocked all around. its right next to where their food stays but whatever it was didnt eat the food. i've pretty much ruled out coons, b/c i'm pretty sure it happened in the morning while they were feeding, plus the food had been there overnight and i feel like coons would eat it. ive seen bobcats and foxes both in the yard, as well as raccoons and owls. today, riding down the road, i saw a hawk flying around the neighbors home...

i was real anxious to get some babies out of him.. my hens should be laying soon. he was a good rooster, too brave though and a little cocky, even.

I lost 13 chickens in 2 days fom what I believe to be coyotes. All I could find was feathers. No blood and no dragging. Also, we lost about 10 range chickens in one afternoon to a dog that had come on our place. My husband was in Oklahoma when a neighbor called him on the cell phone. By the time I got back home it was too late. Dogs will leave the body hanging around. I think that coyotes will take the whole thing.

Neighbor that called was a older lady and she didn't want to take a shot at the dog. We did get him later, though. Killed my favorite roosters, Einstein and Cowboy.

had bantom cross yrs ago. kept 2 rooster, blondie and crooky toe and some hens for them. layed green eggs. something went through one day and killed a couple so we locked up blondie with the girls and crooky in a cage, crooky was the only bird alive next day, he was locked in a carrier, the others in a sm stall with cover over top, blondie put up quiet a fight though, feathers every where. crooky lived to the ripe old age of 17 yrs old. i miss that bird, he had crooked toes so he would fly just about every where.

Latest posts