ryegrass planting follow up question

Help Support CattleToday:

Max Profit

Reaction score
Hello. I first posted this question a few days ago. http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=79695. Thanks for the replies. Next, I would like to ask more about the disking of the bahia. I have disked some of it about 2 or 3 inches deep into sandy soil and the sod is no longer there. This will be fine for for a ryegrass bed but will the bahia return in the Spring? I have noted it will be necessary to spray for weeds from the previous post and would appreciate any comments on the bahia. Last year I plowed a field with a moldboard where there was some coastal and the coastal is back so I am assuming the coastal will return and may even be thicker but am unsure about the bahia.

It will usually take more than a bit of disking to kill off or hurt that bahia.
It'll be back, and depending where you are, it may be back before first frost this winter. It's pretty tenacious.

Lack of adequate moisture the past two summers have pretty well taken care of the bahia grass on the blackland prarie...but an application of Clean Pasture, or Ally, or Cimmeron will help to knock back the bahia as well as small, easy to kill, weeds. Actually, a mix of Clean Pasture with 2 ounces of Remedy is a pretty good weed control recipe for the not so hardy stuff and you are not required to have a liscense or permit to use them in my area.

Latest posts