Ryegrass instead of oats or wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
I'm considering broadcasting ryegrass into 3 fields that I normally plant oats or wheat in for wintergrazing.
One field was planted in millet and the cows have been grazing it all summer so it looks pretty bare aside from a few pigweed stalks. Seed would make contact with soil easily and cows could stay on it a few days to compact them in even more.
Field 2 was also planted in millet that was cut twice for haylage and has a little millet stubble trying to grow again but won't do much. A few little beggar weeds that shouldn't have time to grow before cold. Seeds would make contact with soil easily and there is a pivot to get it up soon since it's terribly dry here and no sign of rain in foreseeable future.
Field 3 was fallow this year and I bush hogged it a few weeks ago. I will have to harrow this one anyway on account of hogs rooting there. Sandier,dryer land. Whatever I plant here will be cut for haylage since it's not fenced and is next to hayfield (may sprig or seed more hay here in spring)
All 3 had oats last winter. Sure is dry.Thoughts/suggestions?

No expert on this but we're going with Marshall Ryegrass in our fields and even going to broadcast in one of our pastures. However, we haven't bought seed yet due to no rain in sight. 15 day forecast shows dry conditions. We're in NE Ga. What part of Ga are you?

I usually feed hay until middle February then turn cows on grazing sometime between middle Feb and mid march. I may turn a few head in here and there after it comes up, mostly special needs cows but no major pressure til later on. LAST year I planted oats in the fields and ryegrass and crimson clover in the pasture. I'D like to do that again.if money allows. NOT sure what's up with capitization.

Latest posts