Rye hay pros and cons

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Hi there. I've never used Rye Hay, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on this hay. Seller said there was some head and seed on plant when cut and baled. I would be feeding it to cows, bulls and some retained heifers. Thanks for any input you can give.

I will assume you are talking about rye grass but either way, roll it out, the cows and your pastures will appreciate it. I use a lot of it.

I bale some and will plant again this fall. My customer says "the cows love it". That's good enough for me. From a supplier standpoint the problem I have with it is harvesting in the spring when it's hard to get some dry weather for it to cure properly.

i have no problem feeding rye grass hay.but you need to feed that hay 1st as alot say it doesnt keep wellas said it will sure help your pastures.if i could id put rye clover an vetch in all my hay meadows.that assures you a good cutting if it dont drought during the spring.then bale it end of april mid may.

are you talking about rye grass or cereal rye? by the sound of your supplier, im more inclined to think cereal rye. its great hay, comparable to wheat AS LONG AS its cut at the proper time which is long before seed is formed. it will still have some feed value but loses its protein and TDN quickly after heading.

I would appreciate any more options on cereal rye. We are in a severe drought and looking for hay. A grower has some rye hay and some rye/Bermuda mix for sale. It was irrigated. My understanding is it was swathed at the boot stage. Will look at it tomorrow.Looking for advice on what others experience has been and what to look for.

If it was truly baled at boot stage it should still be alright. Rye turns quickly though, a couple days will make a huge difference in quality.

Latest posts