Rye green feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Before it heads completely out, the dough stage, when you can squeeze "milk" out of the seeds but, before it gets to far developed or it's just plain tough to work with and tough on their mouths.

I'm just trying to learn a bit from your posts
I take it you have a rye paddock that the seed heads have just set and you are going to cut it to say 4" and then let it grow back and then when close to seed again put your cattle on it .

Is this the case
is 4 " a reasonable guess after cutting?
will you let it come back to seed or graze it sooner ?
if sooner at what stage ?
and how long will that take ?

tytower":11xpl7na said:
I'm just trying to learn a bit from your posts
I take it you have a rye paddock that the seed heads have just set and you are going to cut it to say 4" and then let it grow back and then when close to seed again put your cattle on it .

Is this the case
is 4 " a reasonable guess after cutting?
will you let it come back to seed or graze it sooner ?
if sooner at what stage ?
and how long will that take ?

Yes, I would say 4+ " would be reasonable. I would graze it before it went to head. The cattle don't seem to like it when it heads out. I would likely put them out on it as soon as there are a few leaves on it again. It won't be as productive after it is cut though. The length of time will depend on the moisture conditions.

Yes partly the plan. I ws going to plant it early enough to fall graze,spring graze and cut early enough to hold some cows for a week or so after I cut it. Thats asking alot I know but it does well with little moisture and we seem to be getting alot of that lately

Latest posts