Rye grass question

Help Support CattleToday:

arkcowman

Reaction score
I was thinking about sowing some rye grass to provide my cows something green to munch on during the winter months.
When is the best time to sow rye ? How long do I need to allow it to mature before I let the cows out on it ?

I'm located in North Mississippi

arkcowman":el81ysbu said:
I was thinking about sowing some rye grass to provide my cows something green to munch on during the winter months.
When is the best time to sow rye ? How long do I need to allow it to mature before I let the cows out on it ?

I'm located in North Mississippi

Next couple of months. Priced any lately?

Hear the price is up.

Local Co-op says that they can't any just yet and it may be a while before they do.

If I can get any I am going to try to plant in Oct, because I am not going to have enough hay!

Hear the price is up.[/quote]

Mike I have and it's almost double what it was last year and oats are up too, and I was told that there will be a short supply of seed.

My area of SC around end of sept first of oct.Probably would wait till it is about12- 14 in tall.

C HOLLAND":13amazgb said:

Hear the price is up.

Mike I have and it's almost double what it was last year and oats are up too, and I was told that there will be a short supply of seed.[/quote]

I was quoted $20 per bag by the ton. Gulf. I usually plant some in mid-sept and is ready to graze by Nov 1, when the permanent grass is getting short. I can wet this one pasture though.

You can bet I'll be puttin the legumes in with it this year.

Plant them now, go to your local Co-op you can buy "bulk" oats for about 1.70 that is alot cheaper then 12 -14 bucks. I like the advantage of adding 1 pound of turnips in on top of the oats... Gives the cattle options, and they eat the turnips first mostly. also if you plant them starting the first week of August, they die in Feb and you don't even have to burn down most fields with round-up in the spring... Win Win, some neighbors even are putting oats in right behind Beans and Corn, getting good to better then average results, one neighbor fed his first bale in Jan last year... It works .. Cows like it, Cost effective..

I never have had much success with overseeding it. The pasture grass fights it as it germinates, dry or cold fall weather will hurt it, and mine didn't grow much until spring but then the other grass was growing anyway. I don't bother anymore.
gabby

Latest posts