Rusty Nuts

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech

Reaction score
Since most of us are dealing with cattle we have equipment that sooner or later will have a nut rusted tight. The first thing we do is get that can of penetrating oil.
Well I was reading an article in Machinist's Workshop magazine and thought I would pass part of it on.

Name -------- Effort Require

WD-40 --------- 238 lbs.
PB Blaster------- 214 lbs.
Liquid Wrench--- 127 lbs.
Kano Kroil------- 106 lbs.
Home Brew ----- 53 lbs.

As you can see it takes a lot less effort to break loose the nut useing the home brew, 1/2 the effort as the next best name brand.

So here is how you make it, Mix equal parts of acetone with automatic transmission fluid. ( think you can handle it :roll: )
Maybe some others have some home brews you can share.

Jogeephus":g2ohozhm said:
Thanks, I'm going to give that a try.

Me too, I do use WD-40, PB blaster, and Liquid wrench.
If the Home Brew works as good as stated it will sure save some $$$, and be better as well.

rockridgecattle":3e7aowev said:
husband asks what is acetone?

It is used as a paint thinner. So look for it in the paint department ,Lowes, TSC , etc. It is flamable. And do not stick your nose over the can to smell. I would only use this in a well ventalated area.

novatech":1hbjt0e6 said:
rockridgecattle":1hbjt0e6 said:
husband asks what is acetone?

It is used as a paint thinner. So look for it in the paint department ,Lowes, TSC , etc. It is flamable. And do not stick your nose over the can to smell. I would only use this in a well ventalated area.

;-) It is also the main ingredient in nail polish remover.

kickinbull":yy7b0i1e said:
Brake fluid works pretty good!

Brake fluid is extremely corrosive. I realized this after having the paint slough off the fender of my old truck in the form of two perfect handprints.

I will agree that Kroil oil is the best I've used. WD-40 evaporates too quickly. It helps to take a hammer and drift pin and hit each face of the nut, breaks loose rust inside. When all else fails, use a torch.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3puix0ee said:
When all else fails, use a torch.

cfpinz

I agree that a "fire wrench" is the quickest and easiest. I have some stuff that I bought years ago that is made for the A/C and heating industry. Stinks something awful but sure does break the rust loose. And penetrates joint.

flaboy?":n12j1084 said:
I thought acetone had a high evaporation rate. Wouldn't you just end up with tranny oil?

High evaporation rate and extremely flammable. Have to keep it in a sealed container. If I know I'm going to be working on something that looks froze, I'll spray it down with kroil a few days beforehand to let it soak in. Wondering how this would work with the acetone mixture?

cfpinz

Boy, it had better be good stuff for $9.50/can. Think I will stick with the torch and fire extinguisher.