Rustlers

Help Support CattleToday:

Old West

Reaction score
Anybody having trouble with cow thieves? We've had a rash of 'em around here. They caught one of 'em but haven't caught his buddies.

We have not had any reports of hay theft around my place but then there ain't none to steal.

Heard reports of cattle thiefs but I don't personally know of any. I just branded all my cattle last month to try an keep this kind of stuff from happening, more from keeping my neighbor from "taking" my cattle when his bull tears down the fence and my cattle wonder over into his pasture. He doesn't have a limo in his herd except for two cows and it just so happens I'm missing two. When I asked him about it his response was "prove it".

Earl,
Sorry to hear about your problem. You'd think that neighbors would be more considerate? I've got good neighbors, but even if they tried taking my cattle one they are branded and secondly one of them is raising Chars and the other some type of Brahman cross. Neither look like mine (Beefmasters). Good luck with your problem.

Haven't heard anything recently, but a friend lost all of his replacement heifers one year. Neighbor rounded them up hauled them to an auction barn over 200 miles away and sold them. Joke was on the jerk, the check went to our friend because the neighbor had no bill of sale for them.
Still a hanging offense here in Montana to rustle cattle.

Mr. Ed....

Branding is supposed to be an excellent way to prevent rustling. A friend tells me that the one the Law caught...was because he stole a bunch of calves at night....missed the brand on the dark colored one.....sold it at auction anyway thinking no one would notice....That's the one that caught him.
They just haven't found the rest of his gang yet...but are still working on it.

Thanks for the replies...and please post more.

One advantage of raising registered cattle, the tattoo in the ear is a way to identify them.My neighbor has had some cattle stolen, he raises a commercial herd.Apparently they used portable panels and a cattle dog to round them up and load them. :mad: :shock:

Only "rustling" that I have heard of here is where a friend of mine found where a hobo had tenderloin in his pasture one night. The hobo shot(?) the cow and cut out its backstrap and grilled it right in the field. My friend was miffed to say the least.

there was alot of rustling going on around here last year along with thefts of trailers and tractors and other equipment. they finally caught 3 folks invloved in that and things have slowed down.

most time the rustlers are folks from around the area the livestock is stole or either they work or worked for the one they are stealing from. i havent seen a rustler yet that was just someone traveling thru. most live with in 20 miles or less of where they are stealing.

Jogeephus":14v2a6uy said:
Only "rustling" that I have heard of here is where a friend of mine found where a hobo had tenderloin in his pasture one night. The hobo shot(?) the cow and cut out its backstrap and grilled it right in the field. My friend was miffed to say the least.
that happen to my uncle one time but he just found a cow butchered with a spot were there was a fire that they cooked some of it

we've had a lot of general thievery going on, a man in a work truck was backing up to neighbor's house when she came around back, she had her phone in hand and called me, needless to say, he got a flat tire due to a little piece of lead traveling at a high rate of speed, the same men had stolen a couple of show cattle and his buddy had a broke leg due to a brahma/charolais heifer that someone was breaking of a bad attitude at about 1200 lbs. They are both in jail now pending trial for numerous counts of breaking and entering and several types of theft.

The word is that the new way of doing it is to go out round up 2-4 head of cattle put them in a truck with a portable butcher shop in it. Never show up at the sale barn and sell the meat. Probably sell it privately.

Biggest theivery around here is from diesel and gas tanks. Told the husband to mark the diesel tanks that away from home as "gas" wouldn't be a problem to find the thief. A neighbor lost 800 gallons. Had his tank locked the person just unscrewed the plug got what they wanted and let the rest pour out on the ground. :mad:

Why not":2h10mdwd said:
Anyone care to guess who a lot of the new theives are and where they come from?

I think that a lot of them, depending on the area of the country you live in, are Meth heads. Just if you are talking about stealing one or two calves at a time. There have always been the occasional big-time operators. I have been hearing about those all my life.

Where do you think they are from?

The "other" rustlers we have are on four legs with big feet and teeth. Normally all you will find is part or none of the missing stock.

Lammie":174flqci said:
Why not":174flqci said:
Anyone care to guess who a lot of the new theives are and where they come from?

I think that a lot of them, depending on the area of the country you live in, are Meth heads. Just if you are talking about stealing one or two calves at a time. There have always been the occasional big-time operators. I have been hearing about those all my life.

Where do you think they are from?

Thats the way it is around here. there is an auction going on six days a week and you can drop off in the morning and pick up your check as soon as your calves go thru the ring.
I have thought for awhile that if we put a hold on the checks for three or four business days rustling would come to an end or at least slow way down.
Its easy fast money.

MD

Latest posts