Rust repair for Grain Cart ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Picked up a Snowco grain cart for stocker supplementing. It is in working condition but has surface rust on the galvanized metal at the bottom of the V around the discharge auger. Plan to tip it, pressure wash it, and then paint it with ?

Anything suggestion for something more rust resistant than rustolum, or galvanizing, paint?

There are a bunch of products that will turn surface rust to a hard wearing paintable surface. Lowes has one in an aerosal can , can;t recall who makes it. The rust guys have some stuff that does the same and I think Graingers has some too. Take off the loose rust degrease it and put a couple of coats of the stuff on it and it will last. I had some rust on the floor of the old mule so I used some of that stuff on it. 2 years later it was still black and not rusted where I had treated but new areas around it had rusted.

rust-oleum makes a rust reformer in a spray can,, i been using it on areas on my chevelle... most of the time on my equipment i just keep burnt motor oil on those areas till i get around to fixing it...

ALACOWMAN":1ctbvj1b said:
rust-oleum makes a rust reformer in a spray can,, i been using it on areas on my chevelle... most of the time on my equipment i just keep burnt motor oil on those areas till i get around to fixing it...
That's the stuff that lowes has. Works good and easier then the paint on stuff.
Gemplers also has the other stuff in a bottle and it's pretty thick

I get rust on my grain carts i normally either sandblast if need be or just use a grinder wheel with wire wheels to knock rust off then spray with rust killing spray paint. Call me anal but thats what I do.

Latest posts