Ruptured Belly- the bitter end

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Saturday morning after checking cows and doing chores I found the big cow laying out flat in her pen. At first I thought she was dead but on closer inspection, I noticed she was breathing and had her eyes rolled up in her head. By the marks in the ground it looked like she had simply cast herself and was unable to get up being that her feet were slightly higher than her back. I backed the one ton truck into the pen and extended the bale arms. I locked a heavy chain around her neck and attached it to one of the bale arms and by driving forward and lifting the bale arm at the same time I was able to right her on to her brisket. Though dazed, she looked around for a few seconds then attempted to stand a couple of times but was unable. She then settled on her brisket and seemed to be content with that for the time being.
With this development, I knew her time was up.
When I got back to the house my husband was in very bad shape and had a headache that nothing would touch so off to the hospital we went. Two days before I had driven him to the Doctor and he got a prescription for antibiotics for pneumonia but later that day he was vomiting and had those horrible body aches and chills and I was afraid he might have the flu. At the hospital they put him on an IV drip along with IV gravol and IV painkiller. 4 hours later and feeling 75% better they released him to go home.
After getting him tucked into bed , I went out to check cows again and returning to the pen I found the Big cow flat again. She was not a happy camper and it was time to do something drastic. She had no milk in her udder at all but I thought that if I put the cow down and tried to take the calf I would deal with whatever I found.
She was laying on the most dropped side of her belly which was the left side and assuming the calf was under her I decided to flip her over. So again using heavy chains on her front legs and back legs with the aid of the bale arms on the truck I was able to easily flip her over. Then I used a 22 lead general anesthetic ( 4 times ) to her brain to kill her. Then quickly I made a big slice from approximately where they do during a c-section and I made it a long slice. ( I have never seen a c- section in person so it was by guess and by golly and by pictures I have seen in books) The second the blade went in, gallons and gallons of water like fluid just poured out of her. IN my haste to reach the uterus I was cutting through layers of what seemed like water filled tissue balloons. They were large like birthday balloons and some as large as beach balls. I don't know what that was. I saw loops of intestine that were pretty much empty. Only saw a small amount of manure so she had not eaten much in the last 24 hours. It seemed like an eternity was going by and I had no sight of anything uterus-like. Tossing the knife I plunged my hands in up to my elbows to try to feel something though the tissue and guts. Finally I reached down toward the sternum area in front of the naval and felt what could have possibly been a calf leg under a layer of thick tissue. Grabbing the knife again I made a cut through that layer, I plunged in my hand and pulled out a leg wrapped in typical sack material. Ripping through that, I was able to grab a very slippery leg and pull. The calf was lying with its butt towards the cows brisket, and its head was folded up underneath.
One last yank and the calf was out. I worked on it for about 3 minutes, grabbing the rib cage, working it up and down, scratching his head and checking his mouth for gobs of goo. He was alive and upright on his brisket in a couple more minutes. He looked to be full term except for the fact he had no teeth. He was a good size and had longer hairs on his ears and sheath. He looks bright enough, but has no suck reflex at all and fights to be fed. I gave up tubing him and now feed him by inserting my fingers in his mouth and using a syringe to inject milk between my fingers. He does swallow but his tongue is all over the place and his mouth stays wide open. Ugh. Then I only manage to get in a couple of cups at a time, and only 3 times a day. I will keep it up a few more days, then I might think of something else to try. He has contracted tendons in the front and is able to get up and walk around a few feet before caving in on his ankles. We will see. I only wanted to get him in the odd case that If I lose a calf and could graft him… but if he won't suck?.... sigh.
Afterthoughts. I wonder why the vet could not determine the hydrops condition when he did a rectal exam? In retrospect since he mentioned that it could be the cause of her rupture wasn't there a way to test for it? Or even treat it? Like some drainage? As the vet told me; because of her dropped belly, due to the torn pelvic ligament caused from excessive fluid, she would not retain any slaughter salvage value. I didn't need another vet bill for a cow that has no salvage value and no milk. In retrospect, if I had to do it again I would request he do something to check for this fluid thing. A puncture? Something.
After some consideration I have decided to post pictures not just for interest sake but for those of you who might see this in your own herd. If you are better informed than I was, then you might have the right questions to ask your vet and deal with this condition in a better way than I. They are very graphic in nature so if you are squeamish consider yourself warned.

Saturday morning after checking cows and doing chores I found the big cow laying out flat in her pen. At first I thought she was dead but on closer inspection, I noticed she was breathing and had her eyes rolled up in her head. By the marks in the ground it looked like she had simply cast herself and was unable to get up being that her feet were slightly higher than her back. I backed the one ton truck into the pen and extended the bale arms. I locked a heavy chain around her neck and attached it to one of the bale arms and by driving forward and lifting the bale arm at the same time I was able to right her on to her brisket. Though dazed, she looked around for a few seconds then attempted to stand a couple of times but was unable. She then settled on her brisket and seemed to be content with that for the time being.
When I got back to the house my husband was in very bad shape and had a headache that nothing would touch so off to the hospital we went. Two days before I had driven him to the Doctor and he got a prescription for antibiotics for pneumonia but later that day he was vomiting and had those horrible body aches and chills and I was afraid he might have the flu. At the hospital they put him on an IV drip along with IV gravol and IV painkiller. 4 hours later and feeling 75% better they released him to go home.
After getting him tucked into bed , I went out to check cows again and returning to the pen I found the Big cow flat again. She was not a happy camper and it was time to do something drastic. She had no milk in her udder at all but I thought that if I put the cow down and tried to take the calf I would deal with whatever I found.
She was laying on the most dropped side of her belly which was the left side and assuming the calf was under her I decided to flip her over. So again using heavy chains on her front legs and back legs with the aid of the bale arms on the truck I was able to easily flip her over. Then I used a 22 lead general anesthetic ( 4 times ) to her brain to kill her. Then quickly I made a big slice from approximately where they do during a c-section and I made it a long slice. ( I have never seen a c- section in person so it was by guess and by golly and by pictures I have seen in books) The second the blade went in, gallons and gallons of water like fluid just poured out of her. IN my haste to reach the uterus I was cutting through layers of what seemed like water filled tissue balloons. They were large like birthday balloons and some as large as beach balls. I don't know what that was. I saw loops of intestine that were pretty much empty. Only saw a small amount of manure so she had not eaten much in the last 24 hours. It seemed like an eternity was going by and I had no sight of anything uterus-like. Tossing the knife I plunged my hands in up to my elbows to try to feel something though the tissue and guts. Finally I reached down toward the sternum area in front of the naval and felt what could have possibly been a calf leg under a layer of thick tissue. Grabbing the knife again I made a cut through that layer, I plunged in my hand and pulled out a leg wrapped in typical sack material. Ripping through that, I was able to grab a very slippery leg and pull. The calf was lying with its butt towards the cows brisket, and its head was folded up underneath.
One last yank and the calf was out. I worked on it for about 3 minutes, grabbing the rib cage, working it up and down, scratching his head and checking his mouth for gobs of goo. He was alive and upright on his brisket in a couple more minutes. He looked to be full term except for the fact he had no teeth. He was a good size and had longer hairs on his ears and sheath. He looks bright enough, but has no suck reflex at all and fights to be fed. I gave up tubing him and now feed him by inserting my fingers in his mouth and using a syringe to inject milk between my fingers. He does swallow but his tongue is all over the place and his mouth stays wide open. Ugh. Then I only manage to get in a couple of cups at a time, and only 3 times a day. I will keep it up a few more days, then I might think of something else to try. He has contracted tendons in the front and is able to get up and walk around a few feet before caving in on his ankles. We will see. I only wanted to get him in the odd case that If I lose a calf and could graft him… but if he won't suck?.... sigh.
Afterthoughts. I wonder why the vet could not determine the hydrops condition when he did a rectal exam? In retrospect since he mentioned that it could be the cause of her rupture wasn't there a way to test for it? Or even treat it? Like some drainage? As the vet told me; because of her dropped belly, due to the torn pelvic ligament caused from excessive fluid, she would not retain any slaughter salvage value. I didn't need another vet bill for a cow that has no salvage value and no milk. In retrospect, if I had to do it again I would request he do something to check for this fluid thing. A puncture? Something.
After some consideration I have decided to post pictures not just for interest sake but for those of you who might see this in your own herd. If you are better informed than I was, then you might have the right questions to ask your vet and deal with this condition in a better way than I. They are very graphic in nature so if you are squeamish consider yourself warned.

DSC02073.jpg

This was her about last week. Still eating and drinking and walking. But you can tell that it looks like something more than just baby. I pretty much knew that it wasn't going to be a happy ending even before this point.

DSC02078.jpg

She is still alive and this pic is just before I put the chains on her to flip her over. Notice how her belly resembles a slightly flattened balloon.

DSC02080copy.jpg

The mess I made. The arrow shows where I went in to find a leg.

DSC02081.jpg

The fluid trail left behind. Thats a lot of puddle.

DSC02079.jpg

The baby boy.

This was an interesting story, from start to finish. Sorry about the cow, but glad the calf is alive. Hopefully he will figure things out and will take off growing.

Might I add, you are one d&%n tough woman. :clap:

All I can say is wow, hats off to you. Thank you for sharing the story in all it's detail. I hope that the little bugger makes it for you.

hats off to you.you did what you had todo.an you got the calf out of her very quickly.an you waited as long as you could before putting her down an taking the calf.i know it was hard on you todo that.

congratulations on a job well done.
for the contracted tendons, have you given him some selenium?
for the swollen tongue and anti inflamatory non steriodal will him take down the swelling. If you have nothing on hand, an asprin ( not tylenol) will work, just don't let him bite it. we have used apsrin many times but one calf bit into it and had anaphlatic shock. Once in many times using it though.

Again Congrats on a doing what you needed to do!

Big congrats to you :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry about the ending, but it was kind of to be expected given her condition. Glad you got a live calf out of the deal though, and hopefully he gets his act together pronto. :p RR has good advice - selenium and banamine might be a good choice for the lil guy. Thanks for the update.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:
Amazing. I sure hope the little feller makes it. Hope the hubby gets better too so he can help you. Not that you need any help. :lol:

I think that is the most amazing story I ever read on these boards. I really admire your gumption. Two questions, why would you give up on tubing the calf, that's nothing after all you did to save him, and how did you clean up the mess? :tiphat:

Wow, sorry for your loss but your story was riveting. Its amazing what you can do when you have to, I'm glad the calf is alive. Hope it all turns out well from here on out and thanks for finishing the story.

Sorry about the cow but glad you killed her fast when it got too much for her and huge congratulations on saving that calf! We've had preemies that didn't want to suck and it was because the milk didn't agree with their digestive system. When we switched to the following recipe (at our vets' instructions) we found they loved it.
One can of Carnation, 2 cans water and 2 TBSP plain yogurt.
Hope your husband feels better. The flus this year are just awful. :(

bward - way to go!!! No teeth?? does anyone know how premie that would make him?? Do his lungs seem to be developed OK? After all that, sure hope he survives!
How's hubby doing?? hopefully he's getting better. He's lucky to have you!

our vet says at three weeks pre birth, the teeth should start to emerge. But we just had a 25 # premie on the weekend and it's teeth were starting to come out.

You are GREAT! Makes me proud to be a fellow farm girl! :clap: I thought I was self
sufficent, but you are the poster child for the Ladies on this board!!!! :tiphat:
Keep us posted on the calfs progress. Once again, kudos to you!!!!!! :banana:

Good Job. I am thoroghly impressed with your sense and accomplishment! Sorry for the result, good luck with the calf. You go girl! My hat is off to you! When all is said and done you take a breather and have one on me!

Just amazing! I have followed your story from the start. You did a wonderful job .Although,you lost the cow. I do commend you for putting her out of her misery quickly. Hopefully ,the little guy will make it. I had a little calf a month or so ago.He would not suck a bottle for anything. I ended up putting him in a pen with another cow and calf. Mainly for the company. The cow really didn't care for this calf. I had to tube him everyday. I would also go out a few times a day with a bottle. Just to try and see if he would suck. Then, after about a week I went out and he was sucking on the cow. I think sometimes they just don't like the nipples of the bottle.
Anyway,best of luck to you.

Latest posts