Runs like urine

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
Have a cow that started having the runs like there is no tomorrow. Started a bit ago and I blamed it on the new grass. Problem is I can no longer blame it on that. It runs like urine. Possibly wondering if needs some kind of microbial supplement. Is this possible. No blood is present, just loose as a goose.

edit: no runny nose or respiratory problems, cow seems bright eyed, lively and healthy in most all aspects.

Had this ame problem with my jersey after she calved and I gave mine Diaque and it seemed to help her and lots of hay and not much feed or grass either. DH thought it was cause I wormed her too soon. Not the case. The vet I called said with all the rain it might be e-coli that was comming up the grass and then they eat it and waalaa there was the problem. I treated her for 2 days with this on her feed and gave her lots of good dry hay and it seemed to help alot. She was back to her old self and even her poo started thickening up the next day. I got mine at Orshleans but I bet you can get it at your feed store or Tractor supply...Good luck as this is scarey as I havend seen it before either.

Yu know ~ it will not take too long for her to go down so far you cannot pull her back up if what you say is so. My suggestion is that you take a sample to the vet to be tested ASAP so you can be DIRECT in your treatment. It costs little ~ a whole lot less than guessing, a whole lot less than losing your cow. She will need what ever s/he gives you to treat as well as elctrolytes for rehydration. Don't wait on this.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2vm5qriy said:
Have a cow that started having the runs like there is no tomorrow. Started a bit ago and I blamed it on the new grass. Problem is I can no longer blame it on that. It runs like urine. Possibly wondering if needs some kind of microbial supplement. Is this possible. No blood is present, just loose as a goose.

edit: no runny nose or respiratory problems, cow seems bright eyed, lively and healthy in most all aspects.

I agree with Angie, but in the meantime get her off the pasture and give her just hay that is high in roughage and low in protein or better still just give her straw.

KNERSIE":25lmmtqc said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":25lmmtqc said:

I agree with Angie, but in the meantime get her off the pasture and give her just hay that is high in roughage and low in protein or better still just give her straw.

Agree :nod:

Also you can drench him with kaolinpectate to get his ph level in balance. But get a sample to the vet so you can rule Johne's out hopefully.

good advice

Cattle Today, Inc. provides these forums for idea sharing, support and discussion. All posts express the views of the author of each individual message, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cattle Today, Inc. and we cannot assume any liability for statements or information posted by the individual posters. In no event shall Cattle Today, Inc. be liable for any damages whatsoever resulting from any damage or loss arising out of or in connection with the use of any information from this site. If you have livestock health problems, consult a veterinarian.

Latest posts