Running staight water in hot summer months?

Help Support CattleToday:

Anti freeze/coolant is just as important in keeping the tractor from getting too hot in the summer as it is to keep it from freezing in the winter.

Yup I've run straight water before. No problems. Like AC said, don't use tap water. I have a rain barrel that I pull out of for these purposes. Most engines run at ~180 degrees and the boiling point of water is 212 at atmospheric pressure but under the pressure of a cooling system the boiling point is pushed even higher.

The reason I ask is:

The place where I have my heifers has a small Kubota tractor and bush-hog and it's running hot after I cut for about 45-50 minutes. I am cutting during the hottest time of day and it has been around 90-95 degrees but that shouldn't matter. I've only had this place for 3 months and don't know how the tractor has been serviced but it runs great and starts right up first time every time. I can't remember the model, it's a diesel and probably about 30 hp. It's full of coolant but it appears to be mostly antifreeze. I remember an older farmer running distilled water in the summer because he said water transfer heat much better. Also said for every lb. of pressure it raises the boiling point of water by 3 degrees. Just researching, I know there could be other reasons for running hot.

Have you checked the front of the radiator? Many times when bushoging the seeds,dust, ect completely cover the front. Clean it up and it could be ok.

Almost a sure thing with a Kubota KT. It will need to be blowed out ever day. Got me a peice of fabric type window screen and wraped around the nose of mine.

That Kubota should have a removable screen in front of the radiator. Take it out and clean it, but then it could have been taken out and never put back in. Good Luck

By all means make sure the radiator is clean at all times, but drilling a hole in the thermostat should also help the engine running cooler.

If you have an air compressor, use it to clean the radiator and that should take care of it. Any time you're mowing you're getting a lot of debris in there and you're right about the air temps at 90-95 shouldn't make enough difference to run it hot whether it's diesel or gas.

Personally here where it rarely frosts and pipes never freeze I run tap water with an additive from Castrol which is a soluble oil type of thing.

If you run anti-freeze then it would be a cost and a waste to tip that out . Water might transfer heat a little better but not that much. The thermostat is controlling the temperature anyway and opens or closes a little to hold the temp its supposed to. If its overheating I would be checking the radiator first for debris then the water pump and belt for correct tensions and then I would pull out the thermostat and get a new one.

Drilling a hole in the thermostat does little and is more to ensure some flow to equalise pressure of the water pump. When fully open its designed to be passing as much water as your pipes can pass. It works by a ball of wax expanding and they often stick, open or closed.

Consider the environment and thats one large quantity of anti-freeze that can be saved and the consequent pollution saved . The energy needed to make new stuff is saved and your cash can be used to take the Missus out earning many Brownie points for you.!

I have an old tractor which we just use for mowing , I put a piece of window screen in front of the radiator , when the heat gauge goes up I stop the tractor off and clean the screen , then start it up and let it idle a few minutes , if everything is ok the temp should go back to normal .

i have an old tractor that