Running bred cows on wheat pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Have a friend willing to give me some wheat pasture for the winter. Said he used to put bred cows on it. I'm concerned about putting cows on wheat pasture. There is some grass with it as well where they can get out of the wind. What do I need to watch with putting bred cows out on wheat that will calve in Feb/March?

I am no expert on grazing wheat as we don't do it in this part of the country, but I can't see there being an issue. It's not unlike a green pasture. Wheat is a grass just like any of your natives.

you need to put them on high mag minerals 3wks before turn out.an keep the minerals out for them as long as they graze the wheat.an also put some hay out for them to control the squirts.an do not turn them on the wheat hungry.are they gonna be on the wheat 24/7.or are you gonna let emm graze 3hrs a day an get them out.

Shouldn't hurt a thing but as BigBull said, I'd limit graze them. This will make your grazing last longer, limit protein intake and not allow them to become overconditioned. If you're set up for it and have the time I'd let them graze 2-3 hours and move them to another field with hay available. A good hi-mag mineral should be kept out as well.

Latest posts