rumesin questions?

Help Support CattleToday:

JSCATTLE

Reaction score
I've never really been one to supplement my cows other than protein tubs... But with the amount of hay and quality of this years hay I am thinking of supplementing to stretch the hay .. I read that rumesin can add up to 10% better utilization of forage .. has any one used it for cows and also replacement heifers ? And I can't find it to mix with feed only in protein blocks which are 24 bucks for 40 lbs and are pressed blocks ... Any info would be helpful ..

I'm using it on stockers, it's mixed in their mineral. I get it custom mixed for what I'm grazing and feeding from a place in Slufer Springs Tx. Don't know what it will do on cows though my cows are also on so I don't have to keep two different kinds. Remember it is supposed to be deadly on horses, I had some free horses in the pasture that were worth exactly what they cost and it didn't bother them a bit. Now they are finaly gone and we have two real good top notch horses and we make sure to keep them away.

Yea I did see where it would kill horses.. my horses are at the house so that won't be a problem ... But the blocks seemed expensive to me .. just wondering if its worth it ...

JSCATTLE":3tn7xkfp said:
I've never really been one to supplement my cows other than protein tubs... But with the amount of hay and quality of this years hay I am thinking of supplementing to stretch the hay .. I read that rumesin can add up to 10% better utilization of forage .. has any one used it for cows and also replacement heifers ? And I can't find it to mix with feed only in protein blocks which are 24 bucks for 40 lbs and are pressed blocks ... Any info would be helpful ..
JS recommended feeding rate for Rumensin is 50 to 400 mg per head per day so inclusion rate for mixing on the farm would be determined by the amount of your mix that you feed per head per day.
Products containing Rumensin do carry a warning for horses but I've never seen one die from feeds containing Rumensin at low levels. Higher levels like feed lots feed might be a different story or if they had free access to feed containing Rumensin. Urea "supposedly" kills horses too but I've seen them licking "lick tanks" containing liquid feed with urea all the time with no adverse effects. .

Our Holstein heifers 6-15 months old got fed calf starter ration with rumensin in their TMR and did very well.

I have never seen a horse get sick or die form it either and Sierra was in that calf starter all the time as well as the one with decox . :? But if you have a really fancy expensive pedigree horse it would probably kill it within 2 bites . :lol:

jedstivers":jatppjxa said:
The state nutritionist here said horses can take urea better than cattle. Wouldn't have thought that.

They tolerate it as well as cattle, but their digestive system just doesn't utilize it.

inbredredneck":3urx344z said:
I have never seen any advantage of rumensin over monensin, save yourself some money.
Rumensin® is the registered trademark of Elanco Animal Health for "monensin" the active compound in their "Rumensin®". ;-)

TexasBred":1jte3n8b said:
inbredredneck":1jte3n8b said:
I have never seen any advantage of rumensin over monensin, save yourself some money.
Rumensin® is the registered trademark of Elanco Animal Health for "monensin" the active compound in their "Rumensin®". ;-)
In case you missed it the first time, I have never seen an advantage of rumensin over monensin, save your money go with the cheap stuff. ;-)

Around here none of it is cheap .. that's the problem I have to order it and none of the local feed stores know anything about it .. I would prefer to have the mineral with it . Or have it mixed with my heifer ration .

monensin hurts a horses ticker, it may not die from it, but I will bet the things heart is working a whole lot harder than it used too.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... /91013.htm

Monensin, lasalocid, salinomycin, maduramicin, and narasin may cause myopathy. Horses are highly susceptible, and toxicity has also been reported in cattle, sheep, pigs, dogs, chickens, turkeys, and guinea fowl. Toxicity generally results from exposure to undiluted premixes or from mixing errors. Toxicosis may be potentiated by various antibiotics and sulfonamides incorporated into feeds in combination with ionophores. Affected horses and cattle may develop anorexia, cardiac failure with tachycardia, dyspnea, diarrhea, stiffness, muscular weakness, recumbency, and myoglobinuria. At necropsy, pale areas of myocardial necrosis and pulmonary congestion are usually prominent in horses and cattle. Pigs and sheep tend to have mainly skeletal muscle lesions that appear quite similar grossly and histologically to those of nutritional myopathy. Diagnosis requires history of exposure with development of characteristic clinical and pathologic alterations.

Seems it is toxic to many different species if mixed incorrectly .

hillsdown":pg7ore9p said:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/91013.htm

Monensin, lasalocid, salinomycin, maduramicin, and narasin may cause myopathy. Horses are highly susceptible, and toxicity has also been reported in cattle, sheep, pigs, dogs, chickens, turkeys, and guinea fowl. Toxicity generally results from exposure to undiluted premixes or from mixing errors. Toxicosis may be potentiated by various antibiotics and sulfonamides incorporated into feeds in combination with ionophores. Affected horses and cattle may develop anorexia, cardiac failure with tachycardia, dyspnea, diarrhea, stiffness, muscular weakness, recumbency, and myoglobinuria. At necropsy, pale areas of myocardial necrosis and pulmonary congestion are usually prominent in horses and cattle. Pigs and sheep tend to have mainly skeletal muscle lesions that appear quite similar grossly and histologically to those of nutritional myopathy. Diagnosis requires history of exposure with development of characteristic clinical and pathologic alterations.

Seems it is toxic to many different species if mixed incorrectly .
toxic to all species if mixed incorrectly

I don't know if we can even buy it here without being premixed in a calf starter or protein tub etc . If I do use it ,it has always been a low concentration premixed source of feed or supplement.

Have to ask my nutritionist .

inbredredneck":fnewu7pt said:
TexasBred":fnewu7pt said:
inbredredneck":fnewu7pt said:
In case you missed it the first time, I have never seen an advantage of rumensin over monensin, save your money go with the cheap stuff. ;-)
Missed nothing. Elanco's Rumensin brand of monensin is the original. IF there are copy cats they probably do work as well or they couldn't make the claims. Have never looked for them and don't intend to. $8.00 a pound for Rumensin 90 is cheap enough for me and has the research to back it up. If I was mixing feed for several thousand head it might make a difference. Unless you've done a controlled study you don't know if the generic is as good as the original or not. You may actually be leaving money on the table. You just don't know. ;-)