Ruger Mini 14

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a second hand Mini 14, it's not one of your latest models but is in very good condition. Will take some pics of it this weekend, we are going to do a little shooting :D

Is this something one should own? Must say it felt good holding it, light and comfy like.

The old ones have accuracy problems
You can distinguish between the old and new by the front sight and the serial number

edit

Initial rifles were produced with a complex, exposed bolt hold open device with no button for manual engagement. Stocks were somewhat angular and heat shields were made of wood. These rifles, with serial number prefixes before 181, were tooled and redesigned with a new stock, new bolt hold-open mechanism, and other small changes.

In 2003, Ruger again overhauled the design and the production process to improve accuracy and update the styling while at the same time reducing production costs. The new models, marketed as Ranch Rifles, are based on the previous Ranch models, with integral scope bases. In 2005, the new ranch rifles carried serial numbers beginning with 580. These rifles are sometimes referred to as 580 series ranch rifles. These new models use a modified gas system designed to reduce barrel vibration, and new iron sights.

At an unspecified time in 2007 to 2008, Ruger added a heavier tapered barrel to the Mini series. The heavier barrel had an overall larger diameter with the barrel visibly becoming thicker in the final inches as the barrel approaches the gas block from the muzzle. These changes combined with tighter tolerances result in greater potential accuracy.[5] The new mini-14 rifles are arguably capable of shooting under 2 MOA (Minute of angle) accuracy. The "target model" Mini-14 supposedly can shoot under 1 MOA.

I have 2 mini 14's and a mini 30 and like them real well. I aint accurate anyway so to me they are just fine. I have one loaded in my bedroom as home protection. I did have a target model and it would cut the same hole at 100 yds.

Thanks Cross and Kenny. Will take some pics of it and check which model it is this weekend :D

Here's a pic of the gun...it is of the 182 series. The stock has a couple of surface scratches on it, the stainless steel is in perfect nick. Shot 30 rounds without a jam, accuracy not bad. The gun would be used for home defense so target would be rather bigger than the targets we were shooting at this weekend.

Think I need to look at a couple of shotguns before I decide what to buy, it's a great little rifle though and easy to handle :D

BRAAI059_zpsf6e4048a.jpg

alisonb":3f85ii93 said:
Here's a pic of the gun...it is of the 182 series. The stock has a couple of surface scratches on it, the stainless steel is in perfect nick. Shot 30 rounds without a jam, accuracy not bad. The gun would be used for home defense so target would be rather bigger than the targets we were shooting at this weekend.

Think I need to look at a couple of shotguns before I decide what to buy, it's a great little rifle though and easy to handle :D

BRAAI059_zpsf6e4048a.jpg

Hard to beat a pump shotgun for home defense.
I wouldn't buy a 20 inch cylinder bore.
If you want a short barrel there are some models with modified choke or screw in chokes.
This is a good shotgun and you have the option to choke it for what ever you want to shoot 22 inch barrel.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 12&tid=216

I hate to keep repeating myself so if you've heard this before I apologize, but I have a youth model Remington 870 20 ga.
It has a short barrel and short stock
Loaded with # 3 buck it'll blow a hole a cow can run through
It's big enough I don't feel like I'll shoot myself yet short enough to maneuver around without trouble

Thanks for the suggestions :D . Will check what is available this side of the globe. One thing we don't have to worry too much about here in SA is bullets flying through walls....the majority of houses are built of brick.

alisonb":24bev0e4 said:
Thanks for the suggestions :D . Will check what is available this side of the globe. One thing we don't have to worry too much about here in SA is bullets flying through walls....the majority of houses are built of brick.

Interior walls as well ?

alisonb":2r6b3mi2 said:
Yip, you need a bazooka to blow through one :D

Bazooka, now there is a idea for home defense. After all you never know when a home invader type will be driving a tank.

I had a Mini 14 years ago. It was a reliable gun. Quick to load, easy to handle, with reasonable accuracy. It was my pickup rifle when I was trapping coyotes. It took a lot of abuse and always worked when I needed it.

alisonb":1toirhtx said:

When it comes to a defense shotgun I only want a BPS, Ithaca, Winchester model 97, Mossberg or a double coach gun.
I don't like having to lift a shell carrier to reload.
This is a good defense shotgun Benelli is the parent company.
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach- ... r-shotguns

Caustic Burno":3sg451bz said:
alisonb":3sg451bz said:

When it comes to a defense shotgun I only want a BPS, Ithaca, Winchester model 97, Mossberg or a double coach gun.
I don't like having to lift a shell carrier to reload.

I didn't know what you were talking about
I had to google it, never even thought about that

Latest posts