Rubbermaid Water Trough

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I salvaged a 300 gal trough by lining it with line-x truck bed liner. The installer charged be $150. Thickness looks to be about .09 to .10.

slick4591":1yyntw4c said:
I won't buy another as I'm looking for a trash container big enough to handle the one I already have.

I get them free all the time. I plastic weld them and they are fine. You can get the plastic rods and weld them like new. However I wont buy one new .

skyhightree1":174nmtit said:
slick4591":174nmtit said:
I won't buy another as I'm looking for a trash container big enough to handle the one I already have.

I get them free all the time. I plastic weld them and they are fine. You can get the plastic rods and weld them like new. However I wont buy one new .

Mine are not free and I won't spend the money on patching them up. My generic fiberglass one has lasted longer.

slick4591":1ngiw27l said:
skyhightree1":1ngiw27l said:
slick4591":1ngiw27l said:

Mine are not free and I won't spend the money on patching them up. My generic fiberglass one has lasted longer.

:lol: I understand... I often thought about making a concrete form and make some troughs out of concrete. I have an tall concrete trough I love that thing but you cant move it.

If you are getting them for free then fixing makes sense as long as it doesn't cost what new would. I prefer the TSC black rubber ones over the Rubbermaid. Think they are "tough Stuff" or something like that. They are supposed to be recycled materials, but are not as brittle in the cold. I have several 110 gal and the 40 gal ones. The 40 gal ones are a little taller than the rubbermaid 50 gal ones and the little calves don't try to walk in them as much. The black draws the heat in the winter and they melt the ice quicker than the rubbermaid ones and don't crack.

I think I purchased one water trough in my life and that was back in the 80's. Still have it too. Bottom is rotting out so as soon as I figure where I want it permeant it's cutting a concrete bottom.
I make all mine out of throw away material.

I hauled a busted one home about 10 years ago. I drilled the cracks and patched it with Equi Thane Super Fast, but I would bet that any 2 part epoxy would work just as well. It still holds water with no leaks.

I'm always amzed when I see threds about the quality of these troughs. I have a few, not many. All of em, I;ve had for several years, with no problems. All of mine, went through an F4 tornado, and were one of the few things that survived. I count em as some of the toughest things on the farm. The new ones, may not be as durable IDK.

Latest posts