rubber boots

Help Support CattleToday:

shorty

Reaction score
My rubber boots are sometimes hard to get on and off of my work boots , so I take used plastic grocery bags and put them over my work boots before I put the rubber boots on , they go on and come off easy.

That sounds like a good idea. I've had back problems before and sometimes getting my boots off and on can really aggravate it. I'll try your method. Thanks.

Bags also great to keep the feet dry when you have left your muddy boots outside and it just happens to rain. :roll:

But bags do really make it easier, boots just slip on and off.

Just found out that my dad's rubber boots that were in the old barn are perfect for squirrels to store their pecans for the winter. Both were completely full of pecans. :D

Ryder":1ruvx7xt said:
jfont":1ruvx7xt said:
I'm lost here, how do you put rubber boots over work boots?

I think that must be a northern thing.

Well I am going to try to not take umbrage at that remark from the land where we held the yankees out for four years at the Rappahannock River.

But it does get cold enough here that it is difficult for a man to make out with gum boots.

And it is ocassionally wet enough, though not lately, that we will have some mud and bovine generated fertilizer which necessitates putting some kind of protective foot wear over our normal footwear.

In this ocassion we get what are called overshoes.
Several companies make them in several sizes. You select an appropriate size and purchase a pair. One for each foot.

They can be tight to slip over your existing footwear. to remedy that situation you acquire a couple of plastic bags, yall do have a wallmart or something round there somewhere i hope, and you put one bag over the outside of each shoe or boot and then it will relatively easily slide into the overshoe. repeat on other foot. some will even use a little baby powder in the overshoe to similarly ease the process. I myself find this step unnecessary.

As an alternative you can put some wet cow crap in the overshoe as lubricant but that somewhat defeats the purpose.

pdfangus":1ds44kfc said:
Ryder":1ds44kfc said:
jfont":1ds44kfc said:

Well I am going to try to not take umbrage at that remark from the land where we held the yankees out for four years at the Rappahannock River.

But it does get cold enough here that it is difficult for a man to make out with gum boots.

And it is ocassionally wet enough, though not lately, that we will have some mud and bovine generated fertilizer which necessitates putting some kind of protective foot wear over our normal footwear.

In this ocassion we get what are called overshoes.
Several companies make them in several sizes. You select an appropriate size and purchase a pair. One for each foot.

They can be tight to slip over your existing footwear. to remedy that situation you acquire a couple of plastic bags, yall do have a wallmart or something round there somewhere i hope, and you put one bag over the outside of each shoe or boot and then it will relatively easily slide into the overshoe. repeat on other foot. some will even use a little baby powder in the overshoe to similarly ease the process. I myself find this step unnecessary.

As an alternative you can put some wet cow crap in the overshoe as lubricant but that somewhat defeats the purpose.

When we were kids we called them rubbers. Grandpa still does, but that really gets my boys a laughing.

We used to put bread bags in ours. Mom saved them all year long and by the end of the Michigan winters we'd be out of em.

The Bachelor":32mnw510 said:
When we were kids we called them rubbers. Grandpa still does, but that really gets my boys a laughing.

Back in the day, rubbers where the low top deals about like shoe, galoshes were the high ones with the buckles on the front.

dun":2zgqjwss said:
The Bachelor":2zgqjwss said:

Back in the day, rubbers where the low top deals about like shoe, galoshes were the high ones with the buckles on the front.

I think we called em galoshes too. I remember those buckles too...especially trying to undo em when packed with snow and ice.

Do they even make those things anymore? Down here the rubber muck boots are the norm

The Bachelor":1iu9oix6 said:
I think we called em galoshes too. I remember those buckles too...especially trying to undo em when packed with snow and ice.

After I posted that I got to remembering those buckles. Ah the good old days.
Now I just wear gortex and thinsulate lined leather or ballistic nylon (cordura) boots.

pdfangus":1jxyy85l said:
Ryder":1jxyy85l said:
jfont":1jxyy85l said:

Sir, I must beg your pardon. You would be perfectly within your rights to demand satisfaction for such a thoughtless remark on my part. Should you do so, if I fired my piece, it would be pointed to the ground or sky. I would stand and take what was coming to me with quaking knee but with the stout heart of a southern son.

But I assure you it was a mistake. I failed to notice. I appeal to your good graces and beg for your pardon.

I found out to keep your nice boots clean and not smelling of cowz before goin to school in the morning when I showed was to take plasic shower caps an put them over the bottoms ;-)

Ryder":1mibmlfw said:
jfont":1mibmlfw said:

Don't feel bad, if bachelor hadn't posted I would have thought the same thing. I've never seen a pair of over boots in any stores around here, much less people wearing them. If it's muddy I put on my rubber boots, if it's not I wear leather boots. All I ever needed.

Ryder,

Your most gracious apology is humbly acknowledged and accepted.

jfont,

I am not sure exactly where you are but having spent a couple months in the swamps at Fort Polk in a place we cherrfully called Tigerland, I can understand your position.
I left Fort Dix New Jersey one snowy and cold early March day in 1970 on a plane and landed in Louisana and it was nearly summer.

While I don't live in New Jersey, here in Virginia it will upon ocassion get cold enough that a man just can not make out in rubber boots no matter how many socks. We had a couple of days in Januarary about four years ago where it was 4 degrees and a wind coming out of the west at about 40 MPH. That same summer it was 110 degrees for the duration of the Boy Scout Jamboree.

I've never seen any rubber boots that go over regular boots either. Seems to me like they would have to be very loose to get them over the regular boots?

Found em!!

http://workingperson.com/img/footwear/l ... 160_01.jpg

Actually they were pretty tight. The wrappers made them wasier to come off as well as offer some protection from the snow (along with the rubberbands we used to have to put around our pantslegs and the wrapper).

I'll tell ya, it was a 20 minute job in the mud room getting those buckles unfroze and then taking off the boots when there were no wrappers.

Then one Christmas I got felt lined snowmobile boots.... still had to wear the bread wrappers, but it cut the mudroom time down to seconds.....

Latest posts