Row croppers

Help Support CattleToday:

Dakota Dad

Reaction score
Is there anyone else here who row crops and cattle are a side venture? It has been a real struggle this last couple years.

I raise crops and cattle, use to be quite a few on here that did both, don't know how many are left of the daily user roster.

sim.-ang.king said:
I raise crops and cattle, use to be quite a few on here that did both, don't know how many are left of the daily user roster.

Were you able to get your crop in on time? We were around 5 weeks behind

We were behind this year as well. Late enough that we gave up planting any corn, 100% soybeans for the first time in my life. We did get them all squeezed in between the rains, barely.

We barely got the corn in, the beans are fine. Its will be close with the corn. Were hoping the weather holds off this fall

Its hard to say what the actual futures will be, or how accurate the current futures are. There is a lot of acres not planted yet, a lot of acres that may or may not be planted. Right now, we are looking at 5$ corn, but the USDA may adjust their prediction on how much actually got planted the next 2 weeks. If they do, its anyones guess what that will do. Most conracts are already in

Cattle with a row crop side line. Soybeans have been good in recent years. Oats have been OK. Have not planted corn for a while, since the GM was too low.

Hay was projected to be the most profitable 2019 crop here before corn went up a $1/bu. Corn producers could take a hit if this cool spring is followed by an early fall...

Corn here hit $4.17 recently. Hay crop is a couple weeks late, and some will miss a cutting. So have to expect feed costs will be up and calf prices will be down compared to 2018. Plan to overwinter fewer cows if this is the case.

We row crop and cattle. Until the last few years, cows were just a bonus. Picked up a lot of pasture in the last 5 years so I've been putting a lot more effort into them.

It has been a crazy winter/spring here. I planted some of the corn 3 times to get a stand. Some fields are starting to tassel, and some are 4 inches tall. Gave up on a few fields and going to take them to beans.
About 1/3 done with beans, can't seem to get more than 2-3 good days of work in. It's not quite as daunting as it used to be, with the equipment we have now I can plant over 400 acres in a really hard day. 10 years ago we would have really been sweating.

Sounds like the rain and crappy weather is nation wide. I really don't know what to expect out of markets.