round baling waterways

Help Support CattleToday:

nobull82

Reaction score
I feed about 120 bales a year and plan on expansion. My question is would it be feasible to get some haying equipment to bale waterways or am I better off buying hay. I should also add I have no hay ground or any equipment for haying.

Kingfisher":1yrk8lqm said:
Water ways?? Do you mean ditches ?

Lots of road ditch hay put up here. Adjoining landowner has dibs on it but might let you do it on shares or for free if they don't want it. Some don't care and there are guys who put up miles and miles of road ditch hay here. I would not want to grind road ditch hay because of potential glass/metal contamination :idea:

I think 400 possibly 500 rolls a year would be justifiable for purchasing hay equipment.

I'm taking it that 400-500 bales would be used equipment and a 1000+ perhaps new?

As much as I like making hay and not being dependent on someone else for hay. There's no way I would reccomend buying equipment for less than 300 to 400 bales a year.

I feed alot more than that and I sold my equipment last year to buy more cattle because it was the right thing to do for me at the time.

Bigfoot":37jj5xfk said:
I think 400 possibly 500 rolls a year would be justifiable for purchasing hay equipment.

I agree. You're talking about equipment that has to pay its way in only about a three month window and during that time will make heavy demands on your tractors. My dad normally put up 200-250 round bales a year and he felt it best to hire a contractor.

Latest posts