john deere 446 silage special round baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Not to get the CT moderator upset but haytalk forums may yield some additional feedback for this question.

I have a JD 568 RB. Can't speak to the 446 specifically. However, JD's balers are very well regarded across hay country (I live in the upper midwest). Generally there are JD dealers available nearby for parts.

Looking at the 446 it seems designed much like the 568 which is fairly straight forward for repairs. It is also a design that has been around a LONG time. Which is a good thing. JD makes a good baler. I have experience with other brands and the JD is just simply a good baler.

If you are going to use the baler for silage, then the silage special is the way to go. If only dry hay it may be overkill.

Questions to ponder -- how many bales has it made, how do the belts look, how do the teeth/pick up look, are the chain tensioners all maxed out?

Don't know much about JD balers but isn't a 446 a 4x4 only baler? That would make it a no-go for me. Being forced to make 4x4 bales would result in a lot of extra bales to handle.

Latest posts