Round Balers

Help Support CattleToday:

No videos of the baler but will be doing some millet in about a month so will see what I can do. I went out to the shed late this arvo and took a couple of photos mainly of the wrapping set up.
I guess the Fastnet denotes the netwrap???

The front of the machine with the indicator to show the position of the actuator to run the net until it catches on then let it freewheel in the middle for 10 sec then all the way in to cut it.

Very simple mechanism, the actuator ram goes all the way out to put pressure on the idler pulley to drive the net roller then all the way in to rotate the net knife. I have cut the old bale command wiring to the actuator and wired it direct to a heavy duty 3 way switch that is easier to use.

In my use of the baler I have found stemmy grasses like oats do seem to squash in the bale and from what appears to be a tight bale does go squat after a week or so as the stems compact. I think if a mower with conditioning rollers were used it would be OK. Millet I baled last year have maintained their shape well and are a very dense bale. A fine stem diploid rye grass I baled before Xmas has maintained its shape well and are heavy bales.

Ken

You have a rare bird there. Thanks for posting a picture as that is the first one I have ever seen like that.

UU34zqB.jpg

wbvs58":2tsy7nkx said:
In my use of the baler I have found stemmy grasses like oats do seem to squash in the bale and from what appears to be a tight bale does go squat after a week or so as the stems compact.

The reason they squat is the bale aren't compressed nearly as much as a modern baler which has the ability to have a near constant pressure on the forming belts from start to finish. The chain balers can't apply much/any pressure when the core is starting and then start applying more and more pressure as the bale grows. The slower you drive the tighter the bale will generally be, trade off if when going slow the same crop goes round and round on the chains and that can be very hard on the crop. A large windrow and driving super slow will often result in a dense bale.

Back in their day they were good balers. Technology has progressed a long ways from the days of the NH chainer though. Krone ans i think Class make modern chain balers that have the ability to keep pressure on the chains and produce a solid tight bale.

As for net wrap on the NH chain balers they only offered it in the last few years of production so there aren't that many out there. Originally there were designed for a different type of black net wrap that never seemed to have caught on, luckily they can use standard net. I see them pop up from time to time at auctions and such, usually dirt cheap.

Well, since I started this thread , might swell finish it. I ended up buying JD456SS with twine and net wrap. Got it mid July last year. Have only used the twine so far. That's what it was set up for and I had fields that should of been mowed a month and a half earlier to I just started mowin' and balin'. With a 12 speed PR tranny on my JD5320, I am a bit underpowered when making silage. On flat fields I could bale at b2 or 3, but when the baler started to get full, I had to slow it down to b1. I only made 62 4 by 4+ silage bales last year due to the late start. I am hoping for more this year. Bought an Anderson wrapper too. Both are paid off now, but that has a lot to do with the day job. Did some experimenting on the three fields. First field I mowed and raked then baled and wrapped same day. Second field I mowed (drum mower leaves a 3 foot wide windrow) and baled. Third field (100 degree weather)I mowed, raked and let sit for the night and baled the next day. First field was the best. Second field had a few plugs which I enjoyed thoroughly, last field I should of raked again and made dry. Cows seem to love all three.

I've ran 8420 case balers and their Heston cousins. 55 horse tractor won't know it's back there. I don't know how it would work with wet hay. They make 39x54 inch bale. How were you going to wrap your bales?

rnh2 said:
I've ran 8420 case balers and their Heston cousins. 55 horse tractor won't know it's back there. I don't know how it would work with wet hay. They make 39x54 inch bale. How were you going to wrap your bales?

I bought a trail behind Anderson wrapper used. It runs off the remote. As for the HP on the 5320, I will live with it unless a decent JD2755/2555 is available.

There was a guy who have a JD6430 for sale. That would be nice . About 9000 hours, cab, bale grabber, asking 34 K.

IMO you would go from having not quite enough hp to be comfortable baling to more hp than you need.I will say,however, that I have never done silage so I may be overreacting.
I have pulled a baler similar to yours with both a 65 and 85 hp John Deere my cousin has and,yes,the 85 did do a little better but couldn't find out if I could gain that much speed because of conditions.They usually pull their 458 with a 75hp with cab and A/C.I pull my 535 which makes a 5X6 with a 76 hp open station.It is,however,a Ford

JW IN VA said:
IMO you would go from having not quite enough hp to be comfortable baling to more hp than you need.I will say,however, that I have never done silage so I may be overreacting.
I have pulled a baler similar to yours with both a 65 and 85 hp John Deere my cousin has and,yes,the 85 did do a little better but couldn't find out if I could gain that much speed because of conditions.They usually pull their 458 with a 75hp with cab and A/C.I pull my 535 which makes a 5X6 with a 76 hp open station.It is,however,a Ford
I agree. I can live with what I have, but if something becomes available locally (like the 6430) and all the planets align, I could do a swap. In the meantime I keep the 456ss dialed in to making 4 foot by 52ish inch bales. The silage bales , if baled at 50-65% moisture are a load. When I pick them up with the 5320 , with an overbuilt bale grabber (600#, I'm told) , you have a load. I think my sweet spot is 40-50% moisture. Cows seem to love those.

Latest posts