Rough field fix

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
I have 40 acres that had been long neglected. First it was grazed by horses then abandoned to the wind. Small trees everywhere, Briars, weeds of every description.
I have bush hogged and cleared the fields of all the trees. Brush hogged again, sprayed for broad leaf weeds, now on third brush hog pass and it looks pretty good. Grass growing and being grazed by a few head of cattle and some goats.

Problem is that I would like to use parts of it as hay fields but it is bumpy and rough. Driving a tractor over it provides more shakes than a mild earthquake.

What is the best way to smooth out these bumps enough for hay cutting and baling? Heavy disc and drag? Any advice appreciated.

Jon

We had a field about the same way. Apparantl;y the previous owner didn;t know how to disk or figured it should be done at 60 mph. Every 6 foot there was a 6 inch to a foot tall ridge. Disked it multiple directions, drug it, disk it somemore drug a harrow, disked it somemore and now after only 3 years you can drive across the field without being thrown off the tractor at an idle in first gear. But, it seems that every disk/drag/harrow/etc. stirred up more undesireable weed seeds.
To smooth it out, if you know someone with a road grader, have them grade it smooth, disk it lightly once and no-till drill the seed.

It depends upon alot of things. Is it like buffalo wallos or is just a lot of ridges?
Don't use a spring tooth harrow. Noticed since the husband did our place it is rougher then all get out.
I would do what they have said about disking then I would run the harrow over it.
A grader is a great eath moving machine, but make sure the person using it knows how to or it may end up rougher then when you started.