Rotonon and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Have a lake that is overrun with gizzard shad and catfish and I am wanting to convert it to bass and bream. Is rotone treated water safe for cattle to drink?

Rotenone won't hurt your cattle. Gonna be hard to get those catfish with it tho especially if you have mudcats...if possible I'd drain the thing, let it dry good, disc it deep and hard and "hope" I killed most of them. You'll still have some. Love to bass fish but don't mind a few nice channel cats being in the pond either.

Just start keeping all the cats and leave the shad. Stock it with the bass and brim and the bass will grow to the point they will start making inroads into the shad population, and they'll grow like crazy.

Dun , the fish biologist said the shad would out compete the bass and that they were to big for a bass to eat. Recommends 380 pounds of rotone to kill all the fish in 10 acre lake. 2000 for rotonoe 750 to apply 350 to shock the lake to make sure it was all killed and 3500 to restock with bass and bream
Valueing your opinion, I took a little look around the net and it seems that some biologist actually recomend stocking gizzard shad.
I have a 20 acre lake that has bass ranging 1-8 pounds that seems like it would be a good place to get some bass that would be big enough to eat the gizzard shad.
Anyway I am calling another biologist tommorrow and seeing what he thinks.
I really dont want to spend 6000 or 7000 dollars on a fish lake.