Rotational Grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

smallrancher

Reaction score
Asking for some advise here, due to lack of rainfall, my cows are just slightly ahead of my 4 pastures, instead of vise versa. This is the second year for my pastures and last year we had almost no rain. Right now I am keeping them in 1 pasture for about 4 days, and letting them eat it totally, absolutely down, and then it gets about 12 days rest. Is this my best bet or would I be better off hitting each pasture for 2 days and then on to the next? Thanks

With virtually no regrowth due to lack of rain, you're robbing peter to pay paul. When/if rain returns you're going to have a whole bunch of P poor pastures that will take a long time to recover much usefullness.
The 2 options that no one wants to hear are either cull way done till it hurts then cull a little deeper or set up a sacrifice paddock and feed hay.

dun

dun":8dk3rnmm said:
With virtually no regrowth due to lack of rain, you're robbing peter to pay paul. When/if rain returns you're going to have a whole bunch of P poor pastures that will take a long time to recover much usefullness.
The 2 options that no one wants to hear are either cull way done till it hurts then cull a little deeper or set up a sacrifice paddock and feed hay.

dun

Well said, and do NOT let your pastures be overgrazed, otherwise you might end up having to replant your pastures, even if and when it rains.

smallrancher":36afedcm said:
Asking for some advise here, due to lack of rainfall, my cows are just slightly ahead of my 4 pastures, instead of vise versa. This is the second year for my pastures and last year we had almost no rain. Right now I am keeping them in 1 pasture for about 4 days, and letting them eat it totally, absolutely down, and then it gets about 12 days rest. Is this my best bet or would I be better off hitting each pasture for 2 days and then on to the next? Thanks

You have already overgrazed. Letting your cattle eat a pasture totally down is a big no no in pasture management, drought or not. Grazeing down to 4 inches is the norm on most grasses.
I posted this article on another thread, I hope it my be of benefit to you.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... webdoc3942

Good luck, we have gone through this for several years in my area.

Not disagreeing entirely as it depends on circumstances.

My area is heavy rainfall 2 - 3 meters annually 80 to 120 inches approx.

I find that intensive graising right down and then leaving for about 3 months to regrow(depending on season - 1 month in spring /summer) , and an occasional dolomite sprinkle (and I do mean very little) works for me

My grass is coming back thicker ,lusher and quicker than past results and I've tried it all ways.

Personally I think the crushing and pushing into the dirt of some of the grass would have to give the worms and microbial life something extra to eat and the concentrated dung and urine deposits definately help

tytower":3g9yi42i said:
Not disagreeing entirely as it depends on circumstances.

My area is heavy rainfall 2 - 3 meters annually 80 to 120 inches approx.

I find that intensive graising right down and then leaving for about 3 months to regrow(depending on season - 1 month in spring /summer) , and an occasional dolomite sprinkle (and I do mean very little) works for me

My grass is coming back thicker ,lusher and quicker than past results and I've tried it all ways.

Personally I think the crushing and pushing into the dirt of some of the grass would have to give the worms and microbial life something extra to eat and the concentrated dung and urine deposits definately help

A lot depends on the type of grass. Some have higher growing points then others. Those that have high growing points when grazed too short really struggle to come back. Others have the growing point in the crown, those you can graze almost to the ground with no harm.

dun

Latest posts