Rotational grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

sros990

Reaction score
Is rotational grazing possible in a hobby farm setting where you only have 8 acres of pasture, and 2-3 cows? If possible, how many and what size paddocks would be required, and what would be the grazing period in days in each paddock?

My intent is to get the cows in the spring when they are around 400 lbs. and sell them in late October when they are around 700 lbs. (One of the cows would be for personal consumption).

If your grass is decent, there is no need to graze on a rotation if you are running only 3 calves (400-700 lbs) on 8 acres.

If you had 20 calves on 8 acres, the answer would be different.

Noland farms,

Thanks for your reply. Would I need all 8 acres for the 2-3 cows? I don't have perimiter fencing, and would only want to fence what is necessary.

Thanks

You can divide the eight acres up if you like I would do them into 2's you can put up temporary electric fencing if you like cheap and convenient to use. But remember they have to have access to water at all times.Giving them little sections at a time may not be a bad idea that way they have to eat what is available not pick and choose what they like best and leave the rest.Move them over to the next area when they have grazed evething somewhat down don't let them over graze though or it won't grow back very well.Also since you only have a little land if is dry after being grazed you should be able to water it to help it grow.I hope when you say cows you mean steers not cows I wouldn't want to eat a cow and make sure you finish them on grain to get that fat white before you butcher them it will taste much much better.

Good Luck and if you can harrow the grazed areas right after you move them off as well that will really help the grass grow.
Syd

Latest posts