Rose hedge / mcartney rose control

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
I am hoping someone can help me with a question. I sprayed some rose hedge back in the spring - some with 1% grazon p+d and some with 25/75 remedy and diesel. Both killed the bushes. I shredded off a few about 3 weeks ago. I am already getting sprouts back on both sets.

Should I just spray it again? Is there any way to kill that stuff? I would think that if I keep getting the foliage off, the rootstock should die at some point.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph

25/75 remedy diesel will get it eventually.at least mine has not come back after several applications. spike will get it.i am going to try surmount next year.

I would think there is a chance spraying the diesal on the foliage would burn the leaves off before the remedy is absorbed. I bought some more land in 2009. It had ran wild for a while. Only being bush hogged every other year. Sometimes three. It is a hot mess. I've been spot spraying like crazy. I notice a lot of stuff suckers back out. I built a sprayer that will hopefully be more efficient. I'm going to do three applications of triclopyr 3 next year.

Bigfoot":1munrvoi said:
I would think there is a chance spraying the diesal on the foliage would burn the leaves off before the remedy is absorbed.
Bingo, diesel shouldn't be sprayed on foliage only bark or cut stumps.

Yep, right now, but he just mowed his 3 weeks ago--may not be enough foliage to take the chemical down to the roots, since with new growth, the plant will now be moving sap upwards, not down as it would in a plant this time of year getting ready for the dormant season..
If you are going to mow, then spray, spray it as you would in 'cut stump' mode, which usually means some kind of penetrant--depending on which chemical you use.
I would think that if I keep getting the foliage off, the rootstock should die at some point.
:D
Not a chance--I used to think so too--it'll just keep sprouting back up forever, either from the cut off stalk or from root joints.

25/75 remedy diesel is bark applied only.i usually apply in the winter.

All, thanks for the replies. I think I am going to wait a few more weeks and then go back and remedy bark-spray the stubs coming out of the ground that are showing signs of life.

The "brush busters" publication out of the TAMU ag service recommends the 1% Grazon P+D. I am surprised to see those coming back as well.

Maybe the game plan going forward will be to spray the un-disturbed bushes with Grazon P+D, let them die off, then shred, wait for stubs to start sprouting, then bark spray with remedy/diesel. However, the TAMU publications says to stop spraying them oncee the soil temp drops below 75.

I can't believe how tough this stuff is. The huisache I chain sawed and "cut stump" sprayed is dead as can be. I would have thought huisache would have been more difficult than the rose hedge.

Joseph

Latest posts