Ropin Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

j_20

Reaction score
To the team ropers on here, anyone ever use highlands in their practice pens? Considering their price and horns I was thinking about adding a few to the practice pen. Strictly for practice at home not trying to take em to rodeos or jackpots. Also how will they hold up making a few runs in mid 70 to mid 80 degree temperatures?

None available here, even if I wanted to try. My thinking, they'd get sour fast. I mean real fast.

I kinda agree but with some being considerably less than a dollar a pound its real tempting for me to find out.

I'm with Bigfoot. We have plenty of team ropers up here, and plenty of highlanders/crosses. They don't get used for roping, and there must be a reason. I suspect they would sour quick.

agree, with the above, I wouldn't use them, unless you want to have some extra score cows...I like to score my head horses a lot more than some others, I keep some 1/2corriente/1/4angus/1/4jersey crosses around for that...and then sell them for a little extra $$ than what the Corrientes bring.

lol i did use some jerseys for tie down practice last year, i think i got 5 runs out of em before they gave up haha

Well I couldnt resist the price. I bought a few we will see how they hold up in the ropin pen. Man are they ugly though.

Latest posts