Rope wire vs 14 gauge electric wire

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I rented a pasture which I have posted about before that had 1 strand of rope wire and I over the weekend put that up top and ran a 14 gauge smooth electric wire about 14 inches under it. Does anyone think the 14 gauge will shock harder than the rope wire ? I think it will since its got more wire too it. Maybe thats a dumb question but I have asked them before and im sure I will again. I just thought about it and wondered what yall think ?

I would think so. I have used the tape in the past but mainly for visibility cause I hate tying dollar general bags every few feet on new wire.

It would be simple enough to test, just take a leak on each one and let us know what you find out. Don't know the difference myself but I do know that poly hurts enough to keep me off it. The metal stuff does too.

lmao... I normally just use the surveyors tape to mark the wires lol Now that you mention it I need to do that this weekend. M5 did your fence keep your cattle in well or did they brush up against it and keep going.

Jogeephus":3j0946yv said:
It would be simple enough to test, just take a leak on each one and let us know what you find out. Don't know the difference myself but I do know that poly hurts enough to keep me off it. The metal stuff does too.

Jo that is the first suggestion you have gave me that im gonna flat out say NO :lol: yea I just wondered if I should keep the poly wire up or not but it does give me a good shock when i bump it by mistake.

I don;t know if the difference would be significant. We use the 9 tsrand poly and at the far end (about a 1/4 ile from where we tap off of the main line the voltage reads the same as where we tapped in.
For temp alley ways we frequently don;t even put electric to the poly wire and the cows jump when they get pushed against it. I've been known to just use white cotton string for temporarys too, serves the same purpose.

skyhightree1":1tf1ihqn said:
lmao... I normally just use the surveyors tape to mark the wires lol Now that you mention it I need to do that this weekend. M5 did your fence keep your cattle in well or did they brush up against it and keep going.

cows no problem as the eletric was in addition to 5 strands barb or fence wire. temp fencing is whatI use bags for those handles tie real easy and the flop in the breeze. goats are another story. I dont think you can keep them in with 12 strands of 220.

M5, If you can build a fence that holds water, then maybe, just maybe that would keep a goat behind a fence.

AndyL":2nxjx8d7 said:
M5, If you can build a fence that holds water, then maybe, just maybe that would keep a goat behind a fence.
that why "Thay ain't nun" on my place anymore.

i just have those 2 strands on the property I rent It should keep the cows in and hopefully the calves too since the top strand is waist high and the bottom strand is 12-14 inches lower

Its mostly in your fence charger. Your main runs need to be solid wire. THe 4000' HT wire 12 1/2 ga. is the best bang for your buck. The heavier the wire the more current carrying capacity. Also the ground is very important. next thing is a good tester...so you will know what you have going on.

Banjo so based on what you are saying are you saying that solid 14 gauge will have a greater shocking power than the poly wire?

skyhightree1":2s6ymucd said:
Banjo so based on what you are saying are you saying that solid 14 gauge will have a greater shocking power than the poly wire?
Yes, and it depends on the area you are fencing. If its just a small lot then you will never know the difference.
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you got shocked by 14 ga or poly wire. If you were doing miles of electric fencing the 14 ga. or heavier would carry the current better.

Latest posts