romangus cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

stelg

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with romangus cattle? They are a cross between an angus and a romagnola. Excellent looking animals. There is an association for the breed. :?:

stelg":y0w79p1d said:
Does anyone have any experience with romangus cattle? They are a cross between an angus and a romagnola. Excellent looking animals. There is an association for the breed. :?:
Several years ago I bred some Reg Angus Cows to the Reg. Rom bulls as the Romagnola Association was starting to promote the Romangus. Big Mistake- Very calm cows with very calm calves for years, bred to what appeared to be very calm Rom bulls - resulted in the wildest fence jumpers I have ever owned. The promoted calving ease was the 2nd lie I fell for - 100+ pound calves are not calving ease. The President of the Romagnola Association's wife confessed to me on my complaints that they actually starve the cows pre-calving to lower the birth weights. The calves did all come without mechanical assist, but weighing those monsters was a jump from my 65 - 85 lb Angus calves. The calves did have a fantastic muscle and all had black hide, but a few had scurs. The Association was in the middle of a big power struggle - so all added up for me to stay away from the Romangus deal and stick with Registered Angus. Romangus heifers that I sold only about 75% were bred on first 60 day breeding, where all the Reg Angus heifers in with same bull were bred in same 60 days. Final answer - It is a good TERMINAL cross - but forget keeping heifers and upgrade your working facilities for the calves!

Latest posts