Romagnolia and Romangus bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

reidcattle

Reaction score
looking at Romagnolia and Romangus Bull to purchase any one out there had experience with this breed.
Plus and minus of the breed.
Running mostly full bred Beefmaster.

The Romagnola breed is a very old cattle breed being descended from Poldic stock from the eastern European Stepps brought to Italy by barbarian tribes. Enough of the History lesson. The breed is like the other Italian beef breeds basically a terminal sire with not so great fertility or milk.
The Romagnola is the shortest beef breed in stature and should be heavily muscled. Temperament is better than the Chianina (it better be). They will add muscle and growth to the average British crossbred cow. Given their black skin color and grey hair heat resistance is a strong point.
The color is recessive to black and red.
Some disadvantages:
Slow sexual maturity
Tend to be heavy fronted and have big heads.
A high percentage of the breed has the Robertsonian 26/1 translocation; a potential impact to fertility.
The Marchigiana is a similar breed and has smaller front ends and heads. They also have a lower incidence of the Robertsonian translocation. This is the most popular beef reed in Italy as they tend to e the most consistent performers. To see pictures: http://www.marchigiana.org/.
which breed I would use depends on which has the best quality bulls available.

Seen a few Rom bulls and a small herd of cows about 30 or 40 head of the cows. There was nothing short about the bull i saw, they were size extra large.The breeder also had some Romangus bulls that were about the best looking black bulls i have seen.

Red Bull,

I wasn't talking about length but height. Both Romagnola and Marky cross cattle are good bodied with lots of length and muscle. Both underrated terminal breeds.

This guys old herd bull was at least a frame 8 which to me is tall. May not be the normal Rom breeding can't say because his Rom herd is the only ones i have ever seen real live in the pasture.Would agree they are underrated as a terminal breed. Can't be bragging on them to much i got limousin in the pasture. :D

Limflex can be from 25% to 75% angus or limousin. You need to know what % of what you are getting. On beefmaster cows i think i would use a straight bred bull.

Latest posts