Rolling hay !

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Have today and tomorrow to roll about 70 acres. So far raking has been our big issue . Extra thick ( good thing) light, and wanting to pile up before it comes out the back . Discovered a broke piece on the frame of our rake . Will need to be welded on a rainy day . Borrowed a neighbors and after widening the rear where the hay comes out , has been mostly problem free . I have the first 40 raked and my good helper/ neighbor is running the baler . Prayers for the baler ! Rain coming Wednesday night and Thursday.

91 from the orchard grass field . We normally make over a 100 , so we're not to off there . Only 39 on our last rye grass patch . Normally in the 70's. Have one more fescue , mixed grass field of about 12 acres. Haven't cut this one yet , rain predicted tomorrow. Us two old guys needed a break ! Baled 206 yesterday, and 80 today .

We are still a month away from haying unless we get some hot weather moisture is not lacking, forecast 40F over night tonight..

As per usual, Fescue is starting to be rolled up here in between rains. Probably should've been baled 10 days ago, but weather and other circumstances rarely allow it to be baled at its peak around here.

Love those fresh hayed fields!

Is
As per usual, Fescue is starting to be rolled up here in between rains. Probably should've been baled 10 days ago, but weather and other circumstances rarely allow it to be baled at its peak around here.

Love those fresh hayed fields!
Isn't that the truth ! We plant a lot of rye grass hay, crimson clover and a little wheat . You have to get it before it matures too much and or it falls over from the weather. ( reason why we put a little wheat in the mix ) First cutting went great , should of cut more but you never know at the start if your equipment will cooperate. Couple of rainy days and then we start again . Predicting rain in 4-5 days . Another smooth run . Definitely should have cut more this time ! Then a solid week of rain . When we get back for round 3 one of our smaller fields is past peak but we need it . So now we have 1 small fescue / mixed grass field to go . Rain predicted all week . So we wait . The joys of hay season ! The Lord has blessed us so I'll be thankful and wait impatiently for the next dry stretch .

We are 3 weeks or so until the start of haying. But the weather finally warmed up and grass is really growing. Yesterday I noticed that in places I had grass as tall as the handle bars on the quad. I just started round 2 of the irrigation this morning.

It's so wet in Manitoba we are 2-3 weeks behind on seeding. Couldn't see water on the field from the road this morning when I drove by so I'm hoping it's all back in the creek. Going to be seeding all the low spots in 3-4 weeks for greenfeed so will be going from hay shortage to surplus this year fingers crossed.