Rodeo

Help Support CattleToday:

Didn't see it, but this brings to mind a question I've had that seems to crop up every year at NFR time.
When did calf roping start being called "Tie down roping"?

dun

dun":1x4yb4fu said:
Didn't see it, but this brings to mind a question I've had that seems to crop up every year at NFR time.

dun

About the same time bulldogging became steer wrestling and rodeo clowns became bullfighters. It wasn't broken but some found it necessary to reinvent the wheel and fix it. Ha

Craig-TX

Something I've been wondering also, what makes the bulls buck like that? Is it just the strap around their "beans", or are they bred for their bucking ability, or both? If its the strap, then why dont they stop bucking when the strap comes off, like the broncs do?

Small world, but I grew up in Mesquite, TX and used to go to the rodeo every weekend when I was little, folks would drop us off there and let the rodeo babysit us for a few hrs and then they would come back and pick us up. Got to know the Gay family very well, some of the nicest folks I've ever met, and Donnie and his daddy were some of the most patient and kid friendly guys I've ever known. We would just beat them down for hrs upon hrs with questions and kidstuff and they never seemed to let it bother them. The old rodeo arena had this 2 x 12 board for a bench right next to the chutes, and we would always sit there and talk to the cowboys. I truly believe rodeo cowboys are the most humble of any professional athletes, and always have been!

dun":1ph1jvjq said:

dun

Same question entered my mind. I did it at the high school level for 3 years and it was calf roping back then. Must be a "politically correct" situation? I also team roped against Speed Williams back then and it blows my mind to see how far he's taken it.

eric":3uqbjqtx said:
Something I've been wondering also, what makes the bulls buck like that? Is it just the strap around their "beans", or are they bred for their bucking ability, or both? If its the strap, then why dont they stop bucking when the strap comes off, like the broncs do?

Small world, but I grew up in Mesquite, TX and used to go to the rodeo every weekend when I was little, folks would drop us off there and let the rodeo babysit us for a few hrs and then they would come back and pick us up. Got to know the Gay family very well, some of the nicest folks I've ever met, and Donnie and his daddy were some of the most patient and kid friendly guys I've ever known. We would just beat them down for hrs upon hrs with questions and kidstuff and they never seemed to let it bother them. The old rodeo arena had this 2 x 12 board for a bench right next to the chutes, and we would always sit there and talk to the cowboys. I truly believe rodeo cowboys are the most humble of any professional athletes, and always have been!

That strap isn't around their "beans", but rather just tight around their flanks. Not to mention they just don't want to be ridden in the first place. Nowadays genetic selection for rough stock is getting serious as well.

D.R. Cattle":ckkd2n1r said:
Not to mention they just don't want to be ridden in the first place. Nowadays genetic selection for rough stock is getting serious as well.

I think it's mostly genetics anymore. Including the genetics of not wanting to be ridden (mind set), but a big part is athleticism.
In the 50s we looked for mean horses and bulls that would just as soon kill you (stomp/pound/gore) as eat. There are still some of those kinds around, but not to the degree that they used to be. It used to be that was all there was.

dun

eric":3ddo4tz4 said:

Eric, I do agree. Rodeo cowboys are some of the nicest people I have ever had the opportunity to associate with. Competitive, yet willing to help anyone they can.

I saw the roper cut his rope last night. It was Brad Goodrich from Oregon. Caught the horse's front foot in the slack. Cut the rope to safe the horse but he had the presence of mind to keep hold of the calf end when he cut it. He then went on and tied the calf in 12.4. That is called cowboying up.
Calf roping became tie down roping a couple of years ago. It was because of the animal rights people. We wouldn't want to rope those poor little baby calves.
Dave

Dave":93ano4xe said:
I saw the roper cut his rope last night. It was Brad Goodrich from Oregon. Caught the horse's front foot in the slack. Cut the rope to safe the horse but he had the presence of mind to keep hold of the calf end when he cut it. He then went on and tied the calf in 12.4. That is called cowboying up.
Calf roping became tie down roping a couple of years ago. It was because of the animal rights people. We wouldn't want to rope those poor little baby calves.
Dave

I'd say he wins in the "Cowboy Up" category for sure. Now that the word "cowboy" is getting used...is it consideered an insult anywhere besides Florida? I don't know too many "boys" that can flank, band and brand 100 bull calves in a day, nor a host of other popular ranch activities.

From what I have read and been told "calf roping" changed to avoid/answer charges from PETA about the "terrible" treatment of the cute creatures. Also I was told that a lot of rodeos especially ones that are televised "hide" the calf roping from prime time audiences Even rodeo succumbs to political correctness. :cry:

This reminds me of my favorite TV commercial from days gone by.

It was a beer commercial with an old cowboy & Billy Martin [x yankee coach]
The punch line was Billy saying "I didn't punch that doggy!"

Hillbilly

texasmortgageman":26lg28ml said:
From what I have read and been told "calf roping" changed to avoid/answer charges from PETA about the "terrible" treatment of the cute creatures. Also I was told that a lot of rodeos especially ones that are televised "hide" the calf roping from prime time audiences Even rodeo succumbs to political correctness. :cry:

We have a "cowpoke resort" not far from the house. I used to go rope in the weekly jackpots in the younger days. Went just for old times sake a few weeks ago and calf roping has been eliminated from the events. Too bad.

Also almost gone are the wild cow milking and the wild horse saddling races.

What's next for changing names for the fuzzy Politcally Correct idiots. Bull riding becomes - The fast rocking chair. Bareback already got changed from bronc riding. No no that's saddle bronc. That's got to be changed too you know. I guess Barrel Racing isn't to "harmful" sounding. but wouldn't it sound more earthy to say - Clover Tracing" Makes you want to go out and pick some clover and play with it :roll:

Saw a deal on goat tieing the other day. Poor little goats(PETAese) sure were scared when that horse raced up and the kid made a charge for them. PETA will probably be on that before long and the goat will be
pre-tied and the kid will have to untie them.

dun

They'd probably rather see a child tied than a goat. Dang human beings can really get on your nerves! Society says it's OK to kill an unborn baby, but if we shoot a deer out of season we get locked up for life.

The annual Huntsville Prison Rodeo was one of the best ever. They had an event called Easy Money where a wad of cash ($250.00?) was stuffed into a tobacco pouch and tied between the horns of a bull. One bull and a whole crowd of inmates. Whichever man got the pouch got to keep the money. That alone was worth the price of admission. I sure wish they hadn't stopped it. But there's no way it would pass the PC smell-test these days.

Craig-TX

I'd say he wins in the "Cowboy Up" category for sure. Now that the word "cowboy" is getting used...is it consideered an insult anywhere besides Florida? I don't know too many "boys" that can flank, band and brand 100 bull calves in a day, nor a host of other popular ranch activities.[/quote]

Never heard of it being an insult. We even have 'good old boys' in my neck of the woods and that's not an insult either. Means they like you.
A while back 'Hoss" was popular and meant the same as 'good old boy".

The best part about cowboy is that they are all friends... the cheer each other on and celebrate together.

My parents went to Rnd. 1 and Rnd. 2 the first night they carried a calf out on a stretcher after it had broke it's neck....